Need ideas for training/seminar! Help?

crusheddiced

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Our department's supervisor is going to retire late this year. I'm one of the two candidates that can possibly be chosen for that position. I've worked hard to get to where I am now, that is, department manager. I've worked lots of late hours, sometimes unpaid, just to make sure that my work is of the best quality and quantity.

The other department manager and I are being given a month to prepare for a training/seminar for the other department supervisors and managers.The group that we will be instructing has been divided into two. So that's one for the other manager and one for me. It wasn't specifically said that this will affect who will get the department supervisor position but still I really want to do my best.

Have I mentioned that I work in the HR department that's why we're in charge of the training, seminars and workshops?

Well anyway, my problem now is how I can make this seminar really worthwhile and memorable for the group that I will be instructing. What do you think is the best way to make presentations? Is it better if we hold the seminar outdoors or just stick with the conference room? Any suggestions, tips, advice?

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to your replies.

It depends in large part on the material being taught, and what the intent of the session is.
+1.

Also, I've never liked outdoor training/seminars/classes. So many people try doing that, and it never ends well. There are issues with power, sunlight, wind, temperature, etc., as well as distractions from cars, animals, birds, etc. For the sake of those attending, do not do it outside.

It's hard to say about outdoors because your profile doesn't say where you are so we can't gauge what outdoors might be like in a month.

So. Stick to the conference room. Plus by doing that you don't need to have a Plan B in case the weather outside sucks.

Our department's supervisor is going to retire late this year. I'm one of the two candidates that can possibly be chosen for that position. I've worked hard to get to where I am now, that is, department manager. I've worked lots of late hours, sometimes unpaid, just to make sure that my work is of the best quality and quantity.

The other department manager and I are being given a month to prepare for a training/seminar for the other department supervisors and managers.The group that we will be instructing has been divided into two. So that's one for the other manager and one for me. It wasn't specifically said that this will affect who will get the department supervisor position but still I really want to do my best.

Have I mentioned that I work in the HR department that's why we're in charge of the training, seminars and workshops?

Well anyway, my problem now is how I can make this seminar really worthwhile and memorable for the group that I will be instructing. What do you think is the best way to make presentations? Is it better if we hold the seminar outdoors or just stick with the conference room? Any suggestions, tips, advice?

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to your replies.
1. Start out with some clear learning objectives for the workshop/session. Not "topics" or "agenda." But...at the end of this workshop, what is it that people will be be able to do/know?
2. Remember that what people remember is what they say or do. So give them activities (even if they're brief) to practice applying something. You can give someone a scenario, explain the concept, then have them pair up (or at a table/small group) do a quick discussion.
3. Don't read from slides word-for-word...they can read. Refer to the slide but add comments or thoughts that aren't on the slide.
4. Provide an explanation of why this matters for them and how they can use it.
5. Provide resources. Don't try to cover everything. Introduce a topic, give them handouts and then give them an activity to use the handout (maybe...they need to find an answer in the handout like...what is the policy for XYZ?) then do a debrief. Give out a page with links to key sites. Do not try to cover all info, given an overview, tell 'em where to go for more details, let them practice it, discuss, then move on.

My work usually deals with employee training programs. I do and present it.

I do it along with a consultant/provider that the company hired. Although, I am confident enough to do it on my own, the assistance is really a big help in terms of the presentation's content and the best way to present it.

Have you ever considered having one on a part time basis?

The seminar's about being an effective supervisor. I get your point about not doing it outdoors. Thank you.
Do you think it's a good idea to use something like this one. I found them online when I was looking for tips. Do you think it'll be effective or maybe I should just make my own presentation and everything?
What about games? Our department supervisor never really liked playing games during seminars but I'd love to play some. Do you think it's childish?

Are you allowed to go outdoors? If you are then why not have a team building after the seminar activity. In that way you can teach, learn, bond and enjoy at the same time :)

wp-content-uploads-2008-09-dilbert1.png

dilbert.jpg

dilbert_policies.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back