TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm still a beginner & I would truly appreciate feedback in
editing & in using my camera [Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi]

IMG_6027.jpg

I asked my friend to model for me and it got late so there wasn't much
light anymore. it turned out so blurry. does anyone have any advice on how I can take better pictures when there is little daylight?

IMG_8336.jpg

In this picture could I have set my aperture or exposure time differently
to make it look better?

IMG_8623.jpg

I want to learn how to edit my pictures to where
it looks natural like the way my friend can.
Here is a link to her pictures:
Catie - a set on Flickr

#1 looks a bit underexposed. Use a larger aperture, longer shutter speed or increase your ISO.

#2 is out of focus because your camera naturally wants to let the proper amount of light in by extending the shutter speed. You'll need a tripod to get low light shots properly exposed and in focus, but in some cases where the light isn't too low, you can just bump the ISO setting to 800-1600 and do your best to hold still (not always gonna work well). You can also just set the camera on something too and it's helpful to use the timer so the push of the shutter button doesn't shade the camera.

#3 looks pretty good and is your best shot. You may want to consider cropping out things in the photo that distract the viewers eye, like the car headlight. If it doesn't add strength to the photo, leave it out.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your tips & advice. I will utilize them in my next shoot.

In the second photo I cranked up my ISO, but the camera shake was
still there. I even tried using my tripod, but it is not a very good one.
Every time I tried to take a picture, when I pressed the shutter the
picture still came out blurry. However, your advice about setting it on
something and using self timer is a very good idea.

In the third picture she wanted me to focus on them as well as the car,
so maybe if I cropped out the bottom of the picture it will look better?

I want to learn how to edit my pictures to where
it looks natural like the way my friend can.
Here is a link to her pictures:
Catie - a set on Flickr

You friend gets closer to her model/subject. She also uses tight crops
effectively to direct the viewer. If you cropped some of the headroom
and front-of-car detail from the third picture, it would seem a little more
like her work.

Last edited:
So majority of the editing involves cropping
Thank you for your advice.

Well i think that will help the composition but the other advice is
important for a good exposure also. The more available light you have,
the more options you'll have to experiment visually.

Probably will either adjust the shutter speed or the aperture depending
on what i'm taking a picture of, the surroundings, and my light source right?

I asked my friend to model for me and it got late so there wasn't much light anymore. it turned out so blurry. does anyone have any advice on how I can take better pictures when there is little daylight?
First thing that comes to mind is that location is far from ideal to take pictures when it's late. Have your subject go to where there is more available light to work with.

What lens are you using? If you're using the kit lens it's not a good choice for low light photography. You want a lens that has a large aperture opening (low f/stop number) so that more light can reach the image sensor...the EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a good lens to start with as it's not very costly (about $85) and is pretty good in low light situations.

You could use a tripod and go for a slow shutter speed, but if the subject moves you'll get motion blur.

Another thing you could do is provide your own light. Get an hot shoe Speedlite and you won't have to worry about having little available light. But using a hot shoe flash isn't as easy as just pointing the flash at the subject and snapping off shots...you have to learn how to use it properly so that you get the pictures you want. Flash Photography Techniques

Another option is to go off-camera with the flash and you really open up your options. Strobist
In this picture could I have set my aperture or exposure time differently to make it look better?
Exif:
Shutter speed - 1/320
aperture - f/4.0
ISO - 400
focal length - 18mm

I'm wondering why the ISO is set to 400...it looks like there was lots of available light to work with.

The exposure actually looks pretty good...except for the big white area behind the couple, it looks out of place...Photoshopped? The white area behind the couple isn't working...it's hard on the eyes. Another problem is that you're not sure what the main subject of the shot is...the car, the sky, the foliage or the couple. If the couple is the main subject, get in closer to them and have them fill the frame more.

Good photo composition is what makes a good photograph look good. It's something that every photographer has learn and it's something that takes time and lots of practice to get good at.

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Digital Photography Tips for Beginners

I want to learn how to edit my pictures to where it looks natural like the way my friend can.
Which photo editing program are you using? Getting good at using any of the photo editing programs out there just takes time and effort and lots of practice.

Most reactions

Back