Need Input on Canon Vs Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominantly,
A real-world comparison will show you that on the 40D, doing simple operations like changing the motor drive mode from single shot to continuous will require a two-handed operation,with the left hand being lifted from the lens and coming across the top of the camera to press the button while your right hand spins the front wheel to make mode changes. This is because Canon uses three tiny,round buttons, all of which feel identical, on the top deck, and those three buttons EACH have TWO functions...this is one of the single biggest ergonomic drawbacks of the 20-30-40-50D bodies. SIX absolutely critical controls AF-WB/Drive and ISO/ Metering Pattern and flash exposure compensation,are combined into THREE buttons, each which looks basically alike, and which can not be discerned by touch or feel. Nikon uses separate control buttons dedicated to critical things like ISO and WB. And metering mode. And allows one-handed control changes.

With the Canon 20-50D system, the front wheel controls are thus: in M mode, front wheel adjusts shutter speed; in A mode it sets the aperture value; in Tv mode the front wheel adjusts shutter speed; in P mode the front wheel adjusts the programmed exposure's suggested settings to your preference. With Canon, you are never absolutely SURE, never really POSITIVE which parameters will be shifted with either the front or the rear controls. This is like a car where the brake and gas switch function,depending on how fast you are going.

Again, on a Canon 40D you will find that the rear wheel and the front finger wheel SHIFT, and CHANGE what they control,depending on the exposure mode the camera is in, leading to "guessing" or "trying to recall" which control will actually make which exposure parameter adjustment. With Nikon there is absolutely NO guessing because the controls always control ONE thing--there are no dual-function buttons for aperture,shutter,WB,AF, and Motor drive mode and flash compensation. Separate controls for each operation mean you do not have three buttons giving you six chances to shift camera controls using two buttons that swop functions back and forth.

With Nikon, the rear wheel ALWAYS shifts the shutter speed, the front wheel always adjusts the aperture. In every mode, the front wheel is the lens control. The rear is the speed dial. ALWAYS (unless you use the CFn menu and reverse these controls). Nikon has no two-handed operations...turning on a Nikon requires ONE hand, the one that picks up the camera van flip on the On-Off switch with the right hand index finger as the camera is being lifted. Turning on a 40D requires two hands--one to pick up the camera, and the left hand to flip the back-mounted switch to the second of two On positions (yes,Canon has two On positions,not just ON). Ergonomically clunky and poorly thought out. Does it take two hands to turn on your car? Or can you do it with just your right hand, like you can with a Nikon?

I own both Canon and Nikon gear, and find Canon's menu-driven and dual-function setup less-direct. Nikon has two external buttons that must be pushed simultaneously and held for about five seconds to format a card, or you can use a menu to do it. Canon has NO external formatting method, you must ALWAYS find it in the menu to format a card.

Nikon's depth of field preview button uses the right hand's middle finger, which does almost nothing when holding the camera; with Canon, you must take your hand off of the barel of longer lenses, and use your left thumb to depress the DOF preview button, which is an ergonomic disaster on any longer lenses.

Navigating the focusing area on a 20-50D has the big wheel on the back,or that tiny pencil-eraser sized button called the multi-controller, which is a sad and pathetic imitation of the Nikon's huge, 25 cent coin sized 4-way controller, which has a huge and positive action.

There are a lot of ergonomic nightmares and incredibly kludgy systems that Canon has held onto over the years. They have finally imitated NIkon to put in a dedicated, thumb operated AF-ON button,and their tiny pencil eraser multi-controller way of adjusting the AF area in use is a truly sad, pathetic attempt to imitate Nikon's much bigger, better,and older system.

In terms of flash...Nikon's ahead with an in-built controller and a better-performing system for using multiple off-camera flash units. The color-aware light metering Canon just figured out for their new 7D??? Nikon has had that since the mid-1990's, and the D90 has a 3D color-aware matrix metering system, while the Canon 40D has non-color-aware light metering,like all other Canons actually on the market.

Nikon also has a perfected AUTO-ISO feature that Canon refused to adopt for years, and which Canon just can not seem to implement right.

Enough comparisons? These comparisons are from a guy,me, who owns three Canon d-slr bodies and eight or nine good Canon lenses, and who owns a very complete Nikon system. I bought a complete but small Canon system to find out for myself if I could really make the switch to Canon,and I bought a 20D and 5D and 580 EX-II and eight pro-level Canon lenses, a small portion of my Nikon system by comparison,and have been using Canon and Nikon since 2005. Canon has/had better sensors, but Nikon beats Canon on ergonomics and control ethos hands-down. Lens-wise the Canon L-glass system is a nice naming convention, but their L 135/2 is no better than Nikon's 135/2,and Canon's 100mm EF USM macro is a horrible bokeh lens.
Canon's 70-200 2.8L IS is a nice lens, but a fat, clunky,clubby pig compared with the 70-200VR, which is the BEST-handling of the 4 separate f/2.8 tele zooms I have owned over the years; Nikon's is designed for DX really, but has better bokeh than the Canon.

Last edited:
Nikon D90 vs Canon 40D

Now ask yourself a couple of questions.

Will you NEED the 2 extra mega pixels? (I wouldn't)

Bigger screen? (Good to have)

Video? (I would buy a video camera if I wanted video)

Face detection? (I know what a face looks like, but thank you Nikon :D)

ISO? (The only thing that I might need is the higher ISO)

11AF points vs. 9AF points? (Another thing I would like but I've been shooting for over a year with 9 and I didn't have a problem)

40D has more fps and is made from Magnesium Alloy (and is weather sealed) vs. Plastic (I'm guessing).

Make your decision, tell us about it :D

Dominantly,
A real-world comparison will show you that on the 40D, doing simple operations like changing the motor drive mode from single shot to continuous will require a two-handed operation,with the left hand being lifted from the lens and coming across the top of the camera to press the button while your right hand spins the front wheel to make mode changes. This is because Canon uses three tiny,round buttons, all of which feel identical, on the top deck, and those three buttons EACH have TWO functions...this is one of the single biggest ergonomic drawbacks of the 20-30-40-50D bodies. SIX absolutely critical controls AF-WB/Drive and ISO/ Metering Pattern and flash exposure compensation,are combined into THREE buttons, each which looks basically alike, and which can not be discerned by touch or feel. Nikon uses separate control buttons dedicated to critical things like ISO and WB. And metering mode. And allows one-handed control changes.

With the Canon 20-50D system, the front wheel controls are thus: in M mode, front wheel adjusts shutter speed; in A mode it sets the aperture value; in Tv mode the front wheel adjusts shutter speed; in P mode the front wheel adjusts the programmed exposure's suggested settings to your preference. With Canon, you are never absolutely SURE, never really POSITIVE which parameters will be shifted with either the front or the rear controls. This is like a car where the brake and gas switch function,depending on how fast you are going.

Again, on a Canon 40D you will find that the rear wheel and the front finger wheel SHIFT, and CHANGE what they control,depending on the exposure mode the camera is in, leading to "guessing" or "trying to recall" which control will actually make which exposure parameter adjustment. With Nikon there is absolutely NO guessing because the controls always control ONE thing--there are no dual-function buttons for aperture,shutter,WB,AF, and Motor drive mode and flash compensation. Separate controls for each operation mean you do not have three buttons giving you six chances to shift camera controls using two buttons that swop functions back and forth.

With Nikon, the rear wheel ALWAYS shifts the shutter speed, the front wheel always adjusts the aperture. In every mode, the front wheel is the lens control. The rear is the speed dial. ALWAYS (unless you use the CFn menu and reverse these controls). Nikon has no two-handed operations...turning on a Nikon requires ONE hand, the one that picks up the camera van flip on the On-Off switch with the right hand index finger as the camera is being lifted. Turning on a 40D requires two hands--one to pick up the camera, and the left hand to flip the back-mounted switch to the second of two On positions (yes,Canon has two On positions,not just ON). Ergonomically clunky and poorly thought out. Does it take two hands to turn on your car? Or can you do it with just your right hand, like you can with a Nikon?

I own both Canon and Nikon gear, and find Canon's menu-driven and dual-function setup less-direct. Nikon has two external buttons that must be pushed simultaneously and held for about five seconds to format a card, or you can use a menu to do it. Canon has NO external formatting method, you must ALWAYS find it in the menu to format a card.

Nikon's depth of field preview button uses the right hand's middle finger, which does almost nothing when holding the camera; with Canon, you must take your hand off of the barel of longer lenses, and use your left thumb to depress the DOF preview button, which is an ergonomic disaster on any longer lenses.

Navigating the focusing area on a 20-50D has the big wheel on the back,or that tiny pencil-eraser sized button called the multi-controller, which is a sad and pathetic imitation of the Nikon's huge, 25 cent coin sized 4-way controller, which has a huge and positive action.

There are a lot of ergonomic nightmares and incredibly kludgy systems that Canon has held onto over the years. They have finally imitated NIkon to put in a dedicated, thumb operated AF-ON button,and their tiny pencil eraser multi-controller way of adjusting the AF area in use is a truly sad, pathetic attempt to imitate Nikon's much bigger, better,and older system.

In terms of flash...Nikon's ahead with an in-built controller and a better-performing system for using multiple off-camera flash units. The color-aware light metering Canon just figured out for their new 7D??? Nikon has had that since the mid-1990's, and the D90 has a 3D color-aware matrix metering system, while the Canon 40D has non-color-aware light metering,like all other Canons actually on the market.

Nikon also has a perfected AUTO-ISO feature that Canon refused to adopt for years, and which Canon just can not seem to implement right.

Enough comparisons? These comparisons are from a guy,me, who owns three Canon d-slr bodies and eight or nine good Canon lenses, and who owns a very complete Nikon system. I bought a complete but small Canon system to find out for myself if I could really make the switch to Canon,and I bought a 20D and 5D and 580 EX-II and eight pro-level Canon lenses, a small portion of my Nikon system by comparison,and have been using Canon and Nikon since 2005. Canon has/had better sensors, but Nikon beats Canon on ergonomics and control ethos hands-down. Lens-wise the Canon L-glass system is a nice naming convention, but their L 135/2 is no better than Nikon's 135/2,and Canon's 100mm EF USM macro is a horrible bokeh lens.
Canon's 70-200 2.8L IS is a nice lens, but a fat, clunky,clubby pig compared with the 70-200VR, which is the BEST-handling of the 4 separate f/2.8 tele zooms I have owned over the years; Nikon's is designed for DX really, but has better bokeh than the Canon.
I really appreciate that, there is a ton of good info in there.
One review I read talked about how with the Nikon you could grab it, turn it on, shoot with it and adjust settings with one hand.
Thanks again.

Dominantly,

Some one seems pissy today. A lot of what you you describe is false. I know where the top mounted buttons are, I can change my settings without looking when needed. I can also turn the camera on and operate it with one hand. The on/off switch is within reach of the right hand thumb. I also prefer to have the shutter speed control on the front. Since I only shoot in Manual modes, it's no problem.

And auto ISO is for auto modes. You want to know what ISO you're shooting in and having it switch all over the place isn't a very good thing, especially if you have a camera that has a limited ISO range it can shoot in before you start getting a lot of grain.

You have some pretty bold opinions, then again, assholes.

I asked for a real world comparison, and what to expect in regards to those two cameras. If you have no input, then either say so, or avoid upping your post count. If you insist on making a worthless post, then be prepared for an appropriate response pointing it out. :thumbup:

Reality bites, but very few people here use both canon and Nikon on a daily basis. So basically all you are asking for is personal opinion of what one person uses and hearsay on anything else. You see, to an adult, no one's final opinion matters except their own... exceptions are little children and teens.. yeah, peer pressure is a motherf****, and I feel for you if this is the case.

I repeat... Learn to do your own homework. Take both into your own hands, rent if needed, you seem totally clueless as to what your own needs are, as they are NOT mentioned anywhere here... and you want opinions based on someone else's needs.

Thats the 100% guaranteed path to buyer's remorse.

For someone that names themselves "dominantly" you sure seem rely on everyone else's opinion except the one that counts the most... your own.

Why don't you take time to master your dominance and find the answers that you need.

As for my post count... I've helped a lot more people here than you ever will... so don't play that game with me, I promise you, you won't win there.

Some advice for you... spend less time being insulted and do what I suggested... you will be a lot happier. ;)

Here is another hint for you... google is your friend. The Nikon vs Canon issue is hardly something new, and the info there is vast... instead of trying to stir up that kettle of fish here (do a search for how many of these threads were locked), do your homework and find existing info instead of being so lazy that an extremely old and well versed topic such as this needs to be rehashed for the 500th time here yet again.

Dear Village Idiot,
NONE of what I write above is false in any way. A "lot" of what I describe is the actual,proven truth. The buttons DO have TWO functions each. Fact. It takes two hands to turn on a 40D, one for a Nikon. None of these things are opinions, just facts from somebody who wanted to find out the real truth about how Canon works. Canon's tiny multi-controller is the size of a pencil eraser. What a joke!!! Please, measure your mutli-controller's size and report to the group how big it is! (grin) Answer: it's tiny!

The dedicated AF-ON button--a Nikon idea, one Canon finally put in in the 30D. Canon's left-hand thumb DOF preview button--a joke! The 40D,with no built-in remote flash commander--please tell us why Nikon has built-in remote commanders but Canon does not.

And the shifting front control wheel on Canon--shutter/aperture/shutter/program shift...all FACT.

And what's that incomplete quote from you, "You have some pretty bold opinions, then again, assholes."

I guess you were too angry to finish your statement, Village Idiot? I provide actual operational FACTS, you provide nothing but hot air and invective and profanity. You're one class act, Village Idiot.

Village Idiot....are you a Canon-lover who's angry to hear how a guy who owns two camera systems can actually tell the facts about Canon's limitations...or is your anger seething simply because I can afford two systems, or because I am not a Canon-fanboy like you?

The 40D's AUTO-ISO system? Will you tell us how that works? The 40D's lack of color-aware light metering? Please tell us about that. Please compare the quality of the Canon 135/2 to the Nikon 135/2: I own BOTH--do you??? Please compare for us the 70-200 Canon IS with the Nikkor 70-200 VR--I own both? Do you?

Canon uses dual-function buttons to control SIX functions on the 40D that the OP asked about. FACT. The 40D has no flash controller. FACT. It uses a very old EOS-based control system invented in 1987,and which Canon has not deviated from for a long time. Canons take two hands to turn on. FACT. Canon's vaunted L series lenses are actually equal to or slightly inferior to pro Nikon lenses which Nikon does not need to "signal" are worthy of professional use. Now that one's opinion based on ownership of identical items from both manufacturers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back