Need L bracket recommendations for Canon 6D

You seem to be a minority of 1 on the issue.

You seem to be a minority of 1 on the issue.
Oh, no, I have heard and read others that make the same point quite often. Trust me if one person experiences a flaw there are bound to be a lot of others with the same outcome that tried and discovered the same limits. I doubt the grooves in the bracket go the other direction for everyone else using the bracket since this is a built in property of the design and construction. lol I suppose you are just not doing enough research maybe. At any rate, I offered my opinion and you offered yours.
I also showed a test that will demonstrate my point if you care to learn more about the subject. If not, so be it.

Frankly I don't understand you whole "groves in the wrong direction" theory. What groves in an L bracket are causing you issues?

I've got a generic one but built for a 5Dmki that fits my 7D mki with a battery grip. Or in other words it has the lip that cradles the bottom of the camera. It's cut to fit arca swiss plates and I've never had an issue with quality, bending or camera shake. I have seen some that look a bit flimsy but if you are careful about what you buy it'll be fine.

Any issues with shake are less likely to come from the construction of the L bracket and either not securing the bracket well enough, a place where there's vibration in the ground causing the whole tripod to move or some other vibration source nearby unless it's very thin and poorly made.

#1 - The L-bracket MUST fit the camera. The custom ones that I use fit well, and I have ZERO movement between the camera and bracket. They cradle the bottom of the camera so there is more contact to prevent movement.
Some of the flat generic ones that have to be tightened TIGHT as the only thing that holds the camera to bracket is the tightness of the screw and the stickiness of the rubber padding on the bracket.

#2 - I almost always use the camera on the tripod at the balance point of the camera+lens. IOW, I don't put a long/heavy lens without a tripod collar on the camera, then expect to support the camera from the L-bracket or the camera's tripod socket. That is simply too much leverage on the tripod socket and the tripod head. When you have to JAM the lock on the head to keep it from sagging, your setup is too front heavy.
Same when you turn an L-bracket to the vertical position, and put a heavy lens on the camera. With the flat generic brackets, you are relying on the tightness of the screw and the stickiness of the rubber to prevent the camera from rotating.
Use the equipment properly.

Which tangents to an issue that I have. Many of the longer lenses today, do not have a tripod collar or the provision for one. These are focal lengths that used to have tripod collars (300mm). But with IS/VR, now the manufacturers are designing the lenses without a collar or provision for a collar.
Example1, the Canon 70-300 IS does not have provision for a tripod collar.
Example2, the Sigma 100-400 does not have provision for a tripod collar, whereas the Tamron 100-400 does.
It is for this one reason that I would not buy the Sigma 100-400.​
IMHO, these lenses are WAY too long and heavy to be supporting the setup by the camera's tripod socket.
Example3, I keep my old Nikon 75-300 because it has a tripod collar. When I shoot fireworks, I am not going to hand hold the camera for a 10 second exposure.

Most reactions

Back