Need lens recs - Beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by My2Loves04and06, May 14, 2008.

1. My2Loves04and06

My2Loves04and06 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can anyone recommend a few lenses for a beginner? I have a Canon Rebel XTi and I've been using the standard lens that came with my Canon Rebel K2 (EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II). Thanks!

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would most certainly suggest the 50mm f/1.8. Its darn cheap and will give you some amazing shots.

3. My2Loves04and06

My2Loves04and06 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I've heard good things about the 50mm 1.8, except for the fact that the plastic seems to wear very easily.

What would you recommend for a zoom lens? My daughter has her first ballet recital at the end of June and I don't want to miss any good shots because of our seats.

4. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What sort of budget are you working with? How far are you going to be away from the subject? Since you are starting out, i will not reccommend anything too high-end because it may be more than you need. A very good tele-zoom in the $550 USD range would be the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. Great amount of range, good image quality and has Image Stabilization for sharper pics at low shutterspeed. A bit of a small aperature for dim lighting, but anything larger will cost you twice as much.
    I take it the recital is indoors and lighting will be a major concern to try and get a good shutterspeed. To get anything over 1/250 without a flash will be a feat. So tinker with your ISO setting till you get a usable shutterspeed. Probably about 800-1200. The rule of thumb is that the shutterspeed should be 1/ (the focal length). The faster the better as long as the exposure is correct. With the IS you can get good results at much slower speeds, like 1/30, but it will not stop "action" shots. Only a fast shutterspeed can do that. Hope that helps.

5. R-V

R-V TPF Noob!

I have a daughter in Gymnastics and Dance I use the following two lenses for Gymnastics 50mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2. But for the dance I chose my 70-200 mm f2.8 IS. After Shooting the dancers I found I was around 100mm so the 100mm would have worked with a little cropping.

Rus