need lens suggestions please?

tkme4ard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had a rebel for 2 years and I'd like to upgrade my lens finally. I'm starting NYIP in the fall.

so far what I've been told to buy is

50mm 1.4 (or 1.8 not sure which is the one to go with)

70-200mm (canon or sigma? HUGE price difference)

100m f/2

mainly for candid and portraits, landscapes as well

Thanks for your help!
Angela

Honestly, I have no problem with the lenses listed (I would always choose Canon over Sigma, but that's me)... but... I see nothing wide angle here. If you are going to be in school, you are going to need a good wide angle.

Most of these professional schools make recommendations each session or year as to what equipment will be needed.

Some also have equipment available for student use, it will just depend on the school. This information should be provided somewhere in their publications.

As the above individual indicated they are not fans of 3rd party equipment; neither am I, however, you will find many rave reviews from others who love them. Professional tend to use the makers lenses especially the higher end ones, as they are better built and take more abuse. Notice i said "tend" , so please lets not start a war over this suggestion.

It is all going to come down to what you can afford and what you like.

Perhaps you can go into a local store and put those lenses on your camera and take a couple of shots to review for your personal taste.

Do you have a digital Rebel or a film Rebel?

digital rebel

NYIP is a informal online course www.nyip.com I looked into doing brick and morter in Ohio, but with a 6 month old baby, and 3 bigger kids its just not feasable.

OK, so what is it that you want most?

Do you want to upgrade from your kit in the 'normal' range? Do you want a fast prime lens? Do you want a telephoto, a macro?

The 50mm F1.8 is often recommended because it's cheap. The F1.4 version is made better and is a little bit faster. 50mm feels a bit too long on that camera, for me. I'd prefer something like a 28mm, 30mm, 35mm etc.

Any of the four Canon 70-200 lenses are fantastic. F4, F4 IS, F2.8 & F2.8 IS.

that's what I don't know Mike :)

I really want to spend 500$ for now and upgrade later. So do I buy a

100mm canon
70-200 sigma
50mm 1.8 (skip this all together or buy with 1 of\the other 2)

or go with another suggestion all together

should I buy a new flash as well or wait?

This is the kind of thing that we can't really answer for you...It's like asking what you should have for lunch or what clothes you should wear today. :D

If you want to upgrade from the kit lens, I would suggest the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8. The build and image quality will be better than the kit lens and the wide aperture of F2.8 across the range, will really be an improvement. Should be good for landscapes, portraits and general walk-around photography.

A flash would be good, if you shoot indoors or people at night etc. The 430EX would be a good choice for that camera.

You might even consider an ultra wide lens for landscapes. The Canon 10-22mm for example.

Fast prime lenses are good for lower light shooting and/or for portraits because it's easy to blur the background. There are plenty to choose from, it depends on your style as to which one would be good for you. The ones I mentioned above or even the 85mm F1.8, which is a great lens at a good price.

thank you Mike :) apparently it's the million dollar question!

I just ended up getting the 50mm for a prime. I still don't know what to get for a zoom.

I also ended buying a powershot 850 for point and shoot, instead of lugging the rebel around for candids. Hoping the 50mm will be ok for portraits but I still need a good zoom lens.

I'm going to mull it over some more and hopefully get to the camera store for a demo. Who knew this would be so hard LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back