Need Lens Suggestions

bryan_h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I have been reading here for a while and have learned alot from the discussions. I recently purchased the Nikon D40x with the 18-55 kit lens. I have an outing planned to the practice round of a professional golf tournament. At the practice round you can get relatively close to the players and the equipment they are using. I want to get detailed pictures of the clubs in their bags. I am guessing that I will be anywhere from just a few feet away at times to upwards of 25 and maybe 30 feet away trying to get nice quality images. What lens would you suggest for such a situation?

Thanks for all your help!!
Bryan

does nikon make a 70-200 f/2.8? if not , maybe a good 50mm macro lens could work nice if you want detailed shots

does nikon make a 70-200 f/2.8?

They do, but holy cow its like $1500 bucks. I am not quite at that level of expertise yet.

if not , maybe a good 50mm macro lens could work nice if you want detailed shots

What I could find is almost as much as my camera was. Will a "macro" lens work at the longer distances? Macro to me means being close to the subject at hand. I am still learning though, so if that is not always correct then let me know.

To be more clear I was looking for something in the $300 max price range. I do appreciate the suggestions though.

I have looked at a 70-300 F/4-5.6 AF. Would that work in this application?

The 70-300 would be great for this occasion.

it will work, but it wont be fast, and you might want speed, but since you cant afford the 2.8, i'd suggest that 70-300 probably. a 50mm will focus at far distances as well, it just has the ability to focus really close also. you SHOULD be able to find a used one for fairly cheap (around 50-100 dollars ?) but yeah, i know what you mean about the 70-200 being expensive. that lens for MY camera (sony lens) is $2399 right now i believe . Which is why i'm waiting for sigma to come out with theirs in the sony mount.

Thanks for the help. Speed is not a big issue as I am not going for action shots, mostly just looking for new (read: prototype, tour only) equipment that may be in play.

Are there any other options that I may need to look at before I make a decision on this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back