Need Light/Speed Help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Saddlebreds4me, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi!

I know there is someone out there who knows about my issue - you guys are all so knowledgeable around here!

Right now, due to the mounds of snow, I am relegated to shooting horses in an indoor arena.

Typically, indoor riding arenas are lit with fluorescent lights - which doesn't make for the ideal lighting conditions. I'm also shooting the horses in motion at the trot - so not only am I looking to catch the legs in the "proper position" but I've got to contend with the light as well. I do use an expodisc most of the time to set my WB - which usually works out great.

I typically have my camera set for 5 frames per second - and I've been playing with shooting in Manual and Program mode - What I need to correct is, those 5 frames can have vastly different exposures - from way under to way over. I'm also trying to stop the motion (I normally shoot at 6400 ISO).

[​IMG]

In this photo - the cadence of the stride (catching the horse at the top of the arc with their front legs is what we shoot for) is great but of course it is over exposed.

I suspect I'm going to have to go back to manual - this camera is very new to me (2 or 3 weeks I think I've had it now). Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The quote above immediately made me think you are in auto bracketing mode. Check your camera settings. The bursts should have the same exposure if set in Manual.... Program will probably have different settings. If you want consistent exposure, Program mode is not your friend.

You may also want to be in Tv mode and set your shutter speed to 1/250s minimum up to 1/500s. This will/should stop motion blur of the legs.

3. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Kundalini -

I know this is going to sound stupid - but I am just getting used to this camera and I've probably hit buttons and not even realized it to end up changing something.

Thanks for your advice and it sounds like I need to 'just say no' to the program setting...especially in that indoor situation. I will also bump up my shutter speed...and when you say TV mode are you talking about Live View? I am just making sure I'm understanding what you are saying.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh Geeeze.....I just noticed the D700 in your siggy....... WOW and congrats.

NO, Tv is Shutter Speed priority shooting mode. You set the shutter speed and the camera figures out the rest. I don't remember this morning, but you should be at your maximun burst rate as well to increase your odds. (8fps?)

I bought the field guide by Thom Hogan for my D300, but you might want to invest in the D700 Field Guide. It has so much information that the manual doesn't clearly give reason for, just the how to, not the why.

5. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the suggestions - I'm sort of hell bent on figuring this camera out - (have spent the last two Friday nights with a glass of cabernet and my D700 manual..lol) I am loving it but need to be quicker about adjustments et al - shooting horses in motion you only have a limited time to get the perfect shot! Try shooting a bunch of wild weanlings out in a pasture - I'm not sure I've ever had more fun in my life :mrgreen:

Thank you for the book suggestion as well - sounds like something worth having to be sure. Santa? Are you listening?

As soon as I finish up my photos I am working on today I will go and read about the Tv setting - provided of course that I have enough time and do not run into the Patriots game time!

I'm going to a Nikon school in January - it can't get here soon enough!