Need megazoom for Africa trip

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jj4canoe, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jj4canoe

jj4canoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    We will be traveling to Africa soon which will entail much travel on light aircraft (= limited luggage) Certainly can't bring older cameras and multiple lenses so am looking for a mega zoom camera for purchase. Have researched Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, and Fujifilm megazooms and have found mixed reviews. Doubt I will be taking many HD videos, mainly interested in animal shots but those may include action shots. I also live on a lake and take lots of bird pics, both land and aquatic. Need a reliable magazoom camera that has high quality still and high zoom. If I designed a camera it would have...hot shoe, manual incredible zoom as opposed to electronic, adjustable LCD, at least 10-12 megapixels, relatively light weight, RAW as well as JPEG, great in low light, sharp image quality, but most of all dependability and predictability.

Your input is deeply welcomed and appreciated.

JJ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

jj4canoeView Public ProfileSend a private message to jj4canoeFind More Posts by jj4canoeAdd jj4canoe to Your ContactsView jj4canoe's Photo Gallery

[​IMG]

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't think a camera exists to meet all your "wants" without a high degree of compromise somewhere.. From what I gather from your post, the 3 top priorities are

1) Long focal length with wide range
    2) Compact and lightweight
    3) Raw + JPEG (obviously good IQ)

High end P&S meet 2 and 3 but not 1. Most DSLRs will meet 3 and 1 but not necessarily 2.

Some things that come to mind:

1) Canon 50D + Canon 28-300mm L IS
    - Not really compact but good glass, good camera, 1 lens to do a lot.
    - Nothing much to say...

2) Panasonic G2 + 14-45 + 45-200.
    - I know you said that "multiple" lenses might be trouble but the micro 4/3rds lenses are so tiny and light compared to traditional 35mm and APC crop you really should consider.
    - Lenses designed for 2x crop 4/3rds sensor. So these two lenses would give you a FOV range of 28-400mm on a full frame. No other system will give you that range in two pocket sized lenses.
    - Both are Image stabilized in lens.
    - Bigger sensor and better IQ than most P&S "megazooms".
    - Excellent EVF built in

3) Olympus E-P2 (I have E-PL1 but E-P2 is better built) + Olympus 14-150
    - Again.. micro 4/3rds cameras and lenses are so small.
    - The new 14-150mm is optically probably not as good as #2 but it is a single lens about the weight of a 50mm Canon/Nikon prime (a bit taller though).
    - An equivalent FOV of 28-300mm (in body image stabilized) on full frame
    - E-P2 is more compact than the G2.
    - Disadvantages: a bit slower focus than #2 (and #1). EVF is not built into the camera (optional accessory).

Personally... I'd probably go with the Panasonic G2 + 14-45 + 45-200 AND add to it 20mm f/1.7 (I always travel with at least 1 fast prime). I know its 3 lenses BUT all three can probably fit in a fanny pack as they are so small. I personally ended up with m4/3rd Olympus (for better adaptation with my manual glass). But to give you an idea of the size of zooms from this system, this is a snap of my 14-42 and 9-18mm next to my Canon 24-105L.

[​IMG]

and to give you an idea just how tiny the size of 20mm f/1.7l, this is a snap someone took to compare the 20mm f/1.7 (equiv FOV of 40mm) against a 35mm f/1.4L Canon

[​IMG]

from Gary Ayton photography 2010 January 3

The Panasonic GH1 also comes with a nice 14-150mm lens as well... but it was designed for video (GH1 is focused on video) and with that is a bit large.

3. jj4canoe

jj4canoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks so much for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply. I forgot to mention one major important fact. I already have a Nikon D80 with 24-300 MM lense with VR. Unfortunately, I think this camera and its accessories with be too heavy for my 44 lb weight limit on light aircraft/helicopters. I suppose I could cut back on clothes but I'm going to Africa for one month.

I wanted a lense in at least the 500 mm range, I don't think 300 mm is a long enough focal length for Africa. I'm looking for a bridge camera like the Fuji HS10, Canon SX1 - IS or Nikon P100 to replace my Nikon D80 for this trip.

4. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I've never been happy with megazooms. They are terrible in low lights and lots of CA in high-contrast photos (which usually include most interesting well-lit shots).

If you do figure out a way around your weight constraint, another option would be a teleconverter for your current lens. A 1.7x (like this one) would get you 500mm reach with your 300mm lens. Of course, this option also entails some image quality loss and a sizable penalty in low-light performance.

In other words, the laws of physics get you one way or another :)

BTW, keep in mind your APS-C camera (D80) already gives you a FOV comparable to 450mm with your 300mm lens.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Leave all the useless stuff back in the hotel room. Stuff a spare shirt, pair of socks & underwear in a pocket of your cargo pants and pack a good photo kit. You can always shower when you get home, but a missed photo is forever!

6. KeonRobertson

KeonRobertson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just returned from Africa (3 weeks) and mostly used my 70-300 lens, but would have definitely made use of a stronger telephoto lens. I didn't use my 28-80 at all (I only took those two lenses). The 70-300 also has macro capacity and I came home with some beautiful shots. I called all my photography equipment on and had no problems with the weight limits. Good luck and I hope you get some great shots.

7. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

More seriously, the best compromise between quality and portability is likely a dslr with a sigma "bigma" 150-500mm lens, and another smaller lens of a more normal focal length.

8. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Sigma 150-500 is known as the BigmOS, the Bigma is the Sigma 50-500mm. Both are known to have half decent quality, better so with the BigmOS. I would reccommend to rent a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8 and 1.7x TC. This would get you there. Or just rent the Sigma 50-500.

D80+50-500= ~8lbs.

Although I probably missed your departure..

Mark