need new camera for food blogging

Bandini

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi

a camera that can take good pictures without a flash in low light is important

can i get your opinion on these cameras and which would be best?

my budget is around 250- 300

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3K 10.1 Megapixel 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera

Canon PowerShot S90 10 MP Digital Camera

Nikon - Coolpix 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera
Nikon - Coolpix 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - L110 Black

or is there another camera that is within budget that would be better?

thanks!!!

The Canon PowerShot S90 is meant to be the best point and shoot around, don't know how much it is though!

The Canon PowerShot S90 is meant to be the best point and shoot around, don't know how much it is though!

yeah it's $350 which is over my budget. But i'm considering it

any thoughts on the Nikon L110?

Its great, probably second to the S90. I don't own a point and shoot so don't know but from what I've read on the "tinternet" and for what its worth.

S90 all the way! At least that is the one I prefer out of the three.

The Nikon i can get for $235 while the Canon is $360

I think I am just going to go with the Nikon

anyone have experience with the nikon L110? Some reviews I'm reading say it's not a good low light camera

Great food photography requires a good bokeh (blurry background). Honestly I think your best option is to find a used nikon d40 (one sold for $300 here recently), sell the kit lens (should be able to get at least $50 out of it, maybe more) and buy a nikon 50mm 1.8 ($120ish new). Find a few good deals and you could probably do this for $350 and have a set up that will take food pictures far better than any point and shoot and will be able to do far better in low light. I've shot plenty with a canon g11 and I'd take a d40 over it any day.

If you're serious about the food blogging the extra $50 (probably $100 max) you'll spend will be well worth it.

Great food photography requires a good bokeh (blurry background)......
Many people use the term bokeh, when they are actually discussing shallow depth-of-field (DOF/blurry background). The two are not the same thing, and are not interchangeable.

It's almost as bad as people using the term DPI, when they are actually talking about PPI. Two other terms that have totally different meanings, yet are used as if they were interchangeable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back