Need New Lens (Beginning)

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by PharmerGuy, May 24, 2010.

1. PharmerGuy

PharmerGuy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Guys,

I have an xti rebel EOS Canon along with a 50mm lens. I don't use the one that came with it from advise of friends. What additional lenses should I own? Also, I was looking for a Wide Angle as my next purchase. Would you agree? Any direction would be greatly apprecaited!!!

2. Breaux

Breaux TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It all depends on what/how you like to shoot! When you shoot with the 50mm do you ever find yourself thinking "I need to get wider here" or "I need to get closer here" or "I need a wider aperture here" If so, let that be your guide.

3. PharmerGuy

PharmerGuy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was in Europe and when I shot scenery I wish it were wider. And when I shot portrait, I wish I was further away. I felt the 50mm zoomed TOO much. Is that possible?

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A big piece of this will be your budget. In general, I would recommend a fast wide-angle zoom (in the 17-50mm f/2.8 range) as a basic walk-around lens. It will allow you to zoom out to get the wider angle view, but also makes a nice portrait on your crop-sensor body. It also does reasonably well in low-light situations. I use a Tamron, but Sigma makes them too or you can spend more and buy some "L" glass from Canon.

5. Breaux

Breaux TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On your camera, which I believe has the "1.5 crop" sensor size, 50mm could definitely be too long for shooting scenery. For portraits, it should be a pretty good size, but ultimately that's up to your own idea of what your portraits should look like.

6. Fedaykin

Fedaykin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a Canon 28mm f/2.8. It'll give you the wider coverage you want, it's fast, it's a prime(sharp, high quality images) and it's cheap too.