Need new manual focus zoom lens for Nikon FE2

Holland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a FE2 and I would like to pick up a 80-200 manual zoom lens. I know I could go to my local camera shop and purchase a used Nikkor for $100 - $150. One of the sales people at Wolf camera stated I could purchase a new lens, but I don't want an autofocus. I don't know when or if I will ever upgrade to a modern SLR system.

Any recomendations for a new manual zoom and what I can expect to pay?

Thanks

The only new manual focus Nikkor currently available in this range is the 70~210 f/4.5-5.6, which I think is actually made by Cosina, costs about $130 at B&H, and for that price I suspect it is mostly plastic. Tamron and Tokina still make 70~210 MF zooms for Nikon, priced from $120 to $375 at B&H.

Given that you can find a USED 80~200 f/4 AIS that is probably just as good as new from KEH for about $250, this is probably your best option for a FE-2 if your budget will permit it. Another to consider is the 70~210 f/4 Series E for less than $200 in EX condition, also at KEH.

I personally would not pay the premium for a new manual focus lens when there are so many bargains to be had in used lenses that have been so lightly used to almost qualify as new. I have several used Nikkor MF zooms that are at least 15+ years old, look and fuction like they just came out of the box, and that I was able to purchase for a small fraction of the new price.

Mike

Most reactions

Back