Need Night Photog Help!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Verbal, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Verbal

Verbal $100

Alright, here's the deal.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L1 6.2mp point and shoot camera. I like it most of the time, but in low-lighting conditions it SUCKS. I can think of maybe one or two night pictures that have ever turned out from this camera. It has a built in blur warning which I always leave on, and EVERY time I take a low-light shot, no matter what settings the camera is on, it gives me the warning message telling me it's blurred.

What do I do?! Is there a trick to it??? I can't manually set ISO or anything at all with this bloody thing, just exposure comp basically. And no matter what I set that to (I usually work at -1.7) it blurs. Is there anything I can do?

2. e_

e_ TPF Noob!

Hello Verbal

...i'm not familiar with your model camera and unsure whether you mean it won't fire when the "blur" warning activates

If the camera does fire but results in a blurred image - a tripod will resolve the issue

Have fun!

:)

e_

3. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    thats the first thing that popped in my mind too.
    I also had a warning thingie on my fuji funipix S304. Would show a shaking hand as a warning if things were to dark. Could take a picture though, but hendheld it most likely would be blurred. If on a tripod (you still get the warning) the picture would work out most of the time.
    So what e_ said, a tripod should do the trick.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Sounds like flash, tripod or new camera are your only options!

Not very helpful really!

Rob

5. Verbal

Verbal $100

Poop. I got a nice tripod yesterday and it didn't help much. It did a little, but not enough. Oh, and what happens is I take the shot, then after I do a little message pops up saying it's blurred, and it asks me if I want to still save it.

But yeah, the tripod doesn't help as much as I'd hoped. =\

6. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a Nikon Coolpix 885 until it broke. I found if it was daylight or dark the camera was fine but if very overcast or dull the camera REALLY struggled with decent settings. A tripod isn't always possible. I put it down to compact cameras not being particularly good in difficult conditions.

7. stormbind

stormbind TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are using a tripod and still getting burred pics you may want to consider getting a remote shutter trigger so that you don't actually have to touch the camera to make it take the shot. Some times just depressing the shutter button will blur the shot. JMHO

Nick-

8. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Definately^^ That is probably it. Try holding the shutter button down instead of taking hand away if thats's what you're doing. Make sure you keep still. That is if your camera allows it.

9. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Canon includes a 2 second counter timer on their cameras because of things lik this. Try setting the countdown timer, press the shutter, and stand back.

10. stormbind

stormbind TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep...that's probably the best idea. Press the delayed shutter release so it snapps a couple of seconds after you back away. Think of it like a time bomb or something :-D

11. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

That would be an interesting scence. Some photographer pressing the shutter sprinting like mad and jumping in a nearby ditch :lmao: