Need opinion on DSLR and lenses.

bisdakr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im planning on purchasing some lense for my new xti and I was told these lenses listed bellow are pretty good, If you guys own this lense could you post a picture taken by this lense, just wanted to see what the lense is capable of. Also I was second guessing my self, if I should have gotten the D80 instead of the XTi for the camera experts out there, are there any major differences between these two? I can still get the D80 when it does become availabe and return the XTi, its just that D80s are sold out right now at my local CC.

1.[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Telephoto EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens

2.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens[/FONT]

I wouldn't second guess yourself about the camera choice...they are both very good cameras.

Both of those lenses are very good. I don't have either...but I wish I did. The 100mm has a slightly smaller maximum aperture...but it has the ability to focus close enough to be called a Macro lens. If you are into close-up (macro) photography...then this would be a good choice.

The 85mm is faster (F1.8 ) and probably a fair bit cheaper. It's a great portrait lens.

could I also use the macro lense for any other picture, or is it just for close ups? also when it says auto focus, does it mean it only auto focus and doesn't have manual focus features?

Each camera has its strengths & weaknesses. The XTi is probably the highest-rated camera for its specs & price bracket. Rest easy, my friend. Yes, they're both good lenses too.

The macro lens is usually more of a specialty lens you get after you have the basic ranges covered, from wide angle to telephoto.

If you *know* you want to do macro photography, it is another story. DO you know? ;)

The 100mm defintely has manual focus as well - if you are doing macro shots, it is almost necessary to use manual focus due to the very narrow DOF. The person here who probably knows the most about macro is woodsac.

The 100mm can be used for lots more than macro, including portraits - I have used one several times for portraits and the bokeh is amazing.

Here is a macro shot with a x2 teleconvertor. The bug was probably 3-4mm in length.

256938735_1cf40c3b1d.jpg

and a not so technically perfect 'portrait'

304048520_e7be5f83d5.jpg

The only down sides of the 100mm for portraiture on the XTi is the crop factor. You may have to stand 2-4m away from your subject to get a shoulders and up shot.

well I don't really know as of yet but those lenses are what I was thinking of getting in the near future for taking pictures of everything in combination with the kit lense 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 50mm f1.8. the reason im interested in the macro lense if because ive been taking a lot of close ups, like roses, plants and close up portraits of people, but never handled a macro before. Was wondering If i could use it for other types of pictures other than macro. didn't see the above post. thanks for the pictures, they look great. So I can use macro for other shots, cool. I love the narrow DOF.

If I were you, I would go down to your local camera store and ask to just try it out in the store. That will give you a better feel of whether it is what you are looking for or not.

both lenses are excellent. most of the time they are pretty equal in sharpness, but it can vary from copy to copy...but they are VERY sharp overall.

posting images taken with the lens wouldn't really help, as you can't really tell a difference in sharpenss and CA unless you're viewing a 100% crop. but if you want more info on the two lenses, here is a great place for reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

IMO you should just stick with the xti...it's a great camera (not necessarily very better or worse when compared to the d80 anyway) and you'll need to stick with one eventually :)

I can't speak for the 100mm macro, (other than I've only heard good things), but I do own the 85mm f/1.8, and it is a fantastic sharp lens. Build is great with a ring USM motor, and full time manual focusing.

I too like the 85mm f1.8 lens. Next to the 50mm f1.8, this is one of Canon's best buys. Good build quality, USM, and optics. The 100mm macro is also known as a great portrait lens although I have no first hand experience with it. On a 1.6x DSLR, I'd probably find the 100mm lens a bit too long for portraits.

Dug up one of my first photos with the 85mm f/1.8:

40829715.jpg

Sometimes, macros are too sharp for portrait work, unless you soften it up in software. They are so sharp that they show every pore & blemish in a person's face.

thanks for the reply guys, so the 85mm f1.8 would be better for portrait work?how about the 50mm f1.8 would that be good for portraits? or would you have to get really close to the subjects with this lense?

thanks for the reply guys, so the 85mm f1.8 would be better for portrait work?how about the 50mm f1.8 would that be good for portraits? or would you have to get really close to the subjects with this lense?

Typically, portrait lenses are 85-105mm (for a 35mm film camera)

Since the DSLRs you're thinking about have a multiplication factor of about 1.5, due to the sensor being smaller than a 35mm frame, you have to multiply the lens' focal length by 1.5 to get the equivalent.

So a 50mm f/1.8 is going to behave like a 75mm f/1.8 on your D80.
and an 85 mm f/1.8 is going to behave like a 127mm f/1.8 on your D80.

Unless you only want tight head shots, or you will be pretty far back, go with the 50mm. It will also save you some money over the 85mm.

Don't hesitate to buy the 85mm!!! I've got to borrow one a couple times and it's high on my want list. For the price of the 50mm, there's no reason to not own it as well.

Every macro that I have handled has both auto and manual focus. Manual focus is a must for true macro! Lots of portrait photogs are using macros for exactly that, their clarity. There's a difference between beauty shots, and every day portraiture. I want those details, and to have the option to eliminate them.

If you want the ability to take true 1:1 macro's and do portraiture with the same lens, you should seriously consider the Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens. Extremely sharp, and good focal length for both.

Here's some random examples:

Canon 50mm f/1.8

107219125-M.jpg

Sigma 105mm macro

96092389-M-1.jpg

Sigma 150mm macro

100875629-M.jpg

Sigma 150mm macro

91449168-M.jpg

Sigma 105mm macro

78946349-M.jpg

actually I was thinking of buying both lenses(85mm and 100mm) in combintation with kit lense 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and 50mm f1.8. A total of 4 lenses for pretty much everything? is this adequate enough the kit lense will do okay in landscapes and f1.8 for low light and 100mm for macro and close ups and 85mm for close ups and all around lense. Is this a good enough combination?

Most reactions

Back