Need opinions after drowning in research

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Jklersy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jklersy

Jklersy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a rebel XT and I will probly be using mostly my nifty fifty and 75-300 for tripod work, and hopefully getting a wide angle L lens in the next month or 2. I am wondering, is there really anything wrong with the $200-300 non CF tri legs? I dont mind the weight, I just want a tripod that will last me for a decade. Also the manfrotto 488 ball head looks to me to be a great head, but all the research I do on tripods says I should expect to spend a grand or better on a set up worth having.

I like to take landscapes and want to do some portrait work of the family. I also backpack and took the sunpack 2800, my current tripod, last time and it wasnt that bad so weight is a non issue to some degree.

So, with all that said, am I throwing my money away buying the manfrotto 055xpro with a 488rc2 ball head. Should I wait and buy a Gitzo?

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the older carbon fiber version of the Manfrotto 055Xpro (I think it was called the 055 MF3). I use it with a Bronica SQA (weighing about 1.8 kg) and never had any stability issues. If weight is not an issue, the O55Xpro (non CF) should serve you well. I never used the 488rc2 ball head so cannot comment.

3. Lostbox

Lostbox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use the ball head, it took a bit of getting used to but you have control over every angle,

When i had a light tripod i used to tie my camera bag so it hung between the legs to give it more weight, this way i was using the weight i already had on my back and not turning into Quasimodo carrying any more

4. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

CF is stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum. With that said, the lenses you are talking about will not require the maximum strengh load.

It also sounds as though weight is not an issue. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with a non-CF tripod. If you get a lens that is 2500g or more, regardless of materials, the tripods maximum load will become a factor.

Frankly, that would mean you are spending over $4,000 on a lens (unless renting). If you are using a lens like that, you won't mind spending over $500 on a tripod.

-Nick

5. Jklersy

Jklersy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for all the responses. That puts my mind at ease and I can't wait to purchase. If anything else I can pass it down to my son and get a better one later, lol.