need oppinions on nokia 808 and advice in general

k01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

i'm looking into getting a new phone and the main point i'm looking at is it's camera.

Right now, 2 models interest me: the nokia 808 pureview and upcomming sony xperia Z

now the pureview is built around the cam that is pretty good. better than the stuff that iphone and samsung s3 pack. By some claims it even comes close to DSLR. The main disadvantage is low res screen and symbian os, although the later is said to be quite decent compared to it's competition. it's not the most stylish or the most powerful phone but DAT CAMERAAAAAA

samples and info: Nokia 808 PureView review: Photo Finnish - GSMArena.com

on the other hand there is the sony xperia z. and upcomming flagman that is equipped with a 13 mp and a fancy sensor. the design and spec are top notch and so is the price tag. (you can buy 2 nokias for the same price or a somewhat decent DSLR. retail is about 500 pounds). At first i thought that it should be awesome. it's sony right? but when the samples began to surface i see i was expecting too much. check them out for yourselves. The detail suffers significantly when zoomed.

More Sony Xperia Z camera samples arrive, look pretty impressive - GSMArena Blog

so which in your oppinion is better? to me it seems 808 hands down. but the posh, bragging guy inside of me is inching towards the Z because of specs and style + it's water and dust proof (i need it because i sent my phone for a swim exactly 0 times these during past 10 years)

did i miss anything are there any other good models besides the nokia 920 (NOT going for that)?

No matter what phone you get, its camera optics will never come remotely close to a DSLR camera, just so you're well aware of that no matter what the sales people or uneducated folks on the net tell you. Best you'll do is comparable to a point and shoot with a severe lack of camera features in comparison. Having said that, I would get the Sony since it has a better OS and everything else, I would never buy an expensive smart phone just for the camera. Or get a more basic phone and invest the rest of your coin in a proper camera, even a dedicated point and shoot will do you better. I went through the same phase with my iPhone until I realized what a DSLR and proper camera can do. Good luck though.

thanks. i kinda realised that i was a bit of an extreme to expect a phone to be a replacement for even a point and shoot but it's tempting anyway. i'll probably just grab a PaS and be happy with it. the current htc desire 5mp should be enough for some random shots if i ever need them on the go.

k01 said:
thanks. i kinda realised that i was a bit of an extreme to expect a phone to be a replacement for even a point and shoot but it's tempting anyway. i'll probably just grab a PaS and be happy with it. the current htc desire 5mp should be enough for some random shots if i ever need them on the go.

Yeah just get the phone you like. All the new smart phones have comparable cameras and will take great pics for what they are provided the lighting is decent.

Candidly speaking, I'd never recommend any phone just to have digital imaging experience. Only digital cameras does the intended job of photography. Nevertheless, I recommend to go with Sony Xperia Z. I recently got a good deal on Samsung Galaxy S4(black edition) from Wiseguys NZ. The 13 MP camera offers Dual Shot, play and share with Group Play attribute and uses Air Gesture motion commands. Had a pleasing experience on photography with S4. You can think over it if haven't purchased yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back