Need pricing info ASAP

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by D-50, Sep 28, 2006.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was just contacted by a couple who is having a small wedding ceremony and they want me to shoot it. It will only be an hour of shooting no after party or anything like that. What is a reasonable rate for a job like this?

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Are you just giving them the images or are you doing the processing? For an hour I guess $200 would be reasonable. But are you sure it's just an hour? If your processing, how long would that be? Factor in all of the time involved.

3. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is a small ceremony and they said it would only be about an hour. I am planning on printing the photos for them as well but I was gong to give them a price for me to go shoot the ceremony and give them a disc and a seperate price for the photos. So for an hour of shooting you think $200 is reasonable? I am new to charging for my time usually I sell prints on a print by print basis but have never done a shoot like this so your input is greatly appreciated..

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Well think of it this way. If you shoot for an hour. Say 15 min travel back and forth. You post process for 2 1/2 hours(just an estimate), than your only making $50 an hour. I would charge minimum $75 an hour if it where me.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't know D-50 in a previoius post you advocated giving away your time to build a portfolio I think you should practice what you preach, just do it for free and use the images for your portfolio. Now if it were me I would balance what I think my time is worth with how much time I am giving up $200 would be the bare minimun. Remember, as any experienced wedding photographer will tell you 1-2 hours at a wedding is nothing and can very quickly and esily multiply and before you know it 1-2 has turned into 3-5 on site and what?, at least 2 at home if you are just burning them more if you do alot of post mabye 5-10 hours all tolled and now $200 tuns into not so much. I agree with kevinr $50-$75 per hour is more like it.

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I'm more with JIP's first point: If you don't have a portfolio yet and this is more of a "for experience" thing, I wouldn't be asking for all that much money, but I can't suggest a specific price point.