Need solid advice

ga_shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, new here and hoping to find the advice I seek. I am starting a new service based business that will include photos. The shots will be interior mostly and I would like them to be as high quality as i can possibly muster. I am not attempting to be a professional interior photographer, but would like to provide a higher level than most people/agents currently have access to. The focus is a value added benefit to the service already provided if that makes sense.

I have some experience with 35mm film, but haven't gone into the world of digital SLR's yet. I want the Nikon D200, but it's out of range and too much camera for me, so I have been considering the D80 instead with a wide angle lens. With all of the other start up costs and lighting needs even this is stretching it but i don't want to compromise quality.

I am looking for thoughts/suggestions on a good camera for this and am open to others besides Nikon. Also any insight as to interior shots, lighting, slave flashes and the like would be helpful. I am trying to put together a good starter kit.

Thanks!

Welcome, glad you found the TPF.
A D-something with a fast 2.8 wide angle would get you by I think. Use a tripod and you most likely will get away with available light. I say D-something because if you are going to use it for web tours, it's overkill. A good D70, or D50 will do the job well. It's a little pricey but I like the 14mm f/2.8 Nikkor. Very little if any barrel distortion and crystal clear. If this lens is not in your budget and you have to use a slower lens, flash will be a must. One issue you might run into, mixed lighting color temps. If this becomes a problem, again flash is a must. Mixed sunlight/incandescent/fluorescent lighting can be ugly in a digital image. If you need flash or just more light, 2 or 3 SB-600's will light any room and do it auto TTL style. I would recommend trying a camera/lens combo first and check out the results. Rent the rig if you can just to see. I would stick with a wide prime lens if you can. Zooms will inject too much distortion in almost all cases when used on the wide end. It sounds like you will be shooting for a real estate virtual tour? If you would like to PM me we can discuss further as I have shot for these.

Hi there and welcome!

I own the D200 and can tell you it can be as simple as any camera out there if that is what you want. I can't do anything about the price though I would caution you that the cost of buying a camera body twice is more than buying the one you need once. The D200 would also work with older lenses better than a D80 I think which would alleviate the cost somewhat.

Having said that, if you have a limited scope of requirements for your camera, just about any DSLR would do. You wouldn't need more than 6 megapixels to print adequately to 16 X 20 assuming your digital darkroom technique is good. More is better of course but there is still the price issue.

I would strongly consider the quality of construction though. If you are going to use the camera professionally as a part of your business, you won't want to tell your customers they have to wait until you get your equipment lined out. (another good reason to get a D200)

mike

Most reactions

Back