need some advice on cameras.....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rdzmzda, Jan 26, 2008.

1. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been looking and while i would be considered and amateur photographer Im thinking about getting into taking pro photos still as a hobby...so whatever that would make me. My question though is as far as dslr's go whats a good one.....what would be recommended. I have looked at so many and they all seem to have their own lil reasons they are good but im lost at this point....what i do know. I dont want to spend over 2,000 dollars. Also whats a good lens.....or lenses to get? The 2,000 dollars would include a basic setup not just body. Also some good websites for tips and tricks would be great. Any advice period would work....thanks

2. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would break that $2000 up into 500-1000 for a body the rest for a lens/lenses.

3. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You want a pro setup under 2k? Hmm, well you can buy a great D300 for a lil under 1800$ body only, then you'd have to buy a lens though. You could just buy a lesser camera like a D80 and get really nice glass for it.

Are you planning on indoor shots or outdoor? If you shoot indoors you will want a camera with a big sensor like a D300, if it's outdoors a D80 with really nice glass may work.

(when I say d300 and d80 I'm just giving examples, of course you should look at canon's too)

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    * go to a store and try out the bodies.... it is a very personal choice. There is no clear winner. You can do professional work with almost any of them
    * You need to decide what type of photos are you going to be taken in order to even start considering choice of lenses.
    * Are you new to DSLRs? Are you familiar with SLRs?

What do you mean "pro photos still as a hobby"? If you mean professional looking photos as a hobby, that is more the photographer's skill than the equipment used.

At that price point, you can do very well with Pentax's offerings. K10D is a very packed professional camera for very little money. I personally shoot with Canon but I'm not a big fan of the Rebels. Canon 40D is in your price range... 5D would be nice but stretch for your budget.

5. Tennessee Landscape

Tennessee Landscape TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just bought a package at Wolf Camera. $1600 for a Nikon D80, two lenses, ( Look at my signature ) three fliters ( glass ) two UV's and a polorized filter, came with a bag for free, and about another $200 for a tripod. The bonus is that I can take all of their photography classes ( 16 in total ) for free since I bought from them.

Tip of the Day.......buy the UV filters if for no reason that to protect your lenses....glass ones too....