Need some advice on equipment. Pretty please : )

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Photocatch, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Photocatch

Photocatch TPF Noob!

:D Hi Everyone,

I have a some questions that would really help me get my photography started if I could only get some solid advice. I have a Nikon N80 with a stock lens.

Is this a good camera for a beginner or pro photography?

What is the next step up lens I should buy that does not bust the bank?

What type of black and white and color film is recommened? At the photo shop, they said Tmax is best for B&W. Is that true?

What type of filters to you recommend or are happy with?

What other equipment is a must for a beginner?

I basically want to be able to leave the house and have everything in a bag that I would need to take whatever picture necessary.

Thanks so much.

-T

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome :)

First off, I'm a Canon guy, so I dint' know much about your Nikon gear. The N80 is supposedly a good camera. Great for beginners or even pros but not a top of the line body.

A good first (or second) lens would be a fast prime lens. Something like a 50mm F/1.8 They are usually very sharp, inexpensive and much better for low light situations.

T-max are good films, I like Ilford Delta too. Do you develop yourself? If not you can buy b&w C41 film that can be processed at any lab without having to send it out.

Polarizing filters are good for a few things...they reduce reflection and glare and can help to get more saturated colors. A UV filter is good to keep on the lens for protection. For b&w photography, colored filters can be useful to bring out contrast...a red/yellow filter will make a blue sky look dark...to contrast with white clouds.

Equipment for a beginner...a tripod would be one of the first things to get. You want sturdy and light but will have to pay a lot for one that is both. A cable release or remote control is helpful...if the camera is not in your hands when you shoot, the pictures will be sharper.

Without knowing what kind of pictures you want to take, it's hard to make suggestions. At every level of photography, you have to make decisions about what to bring and what to leave at home. The more gear you have, the harder it is.

As a beginner, I'd suggest that you not go overboard with the accessories. Just get some film and go out and shoot...you will find out what you need and what you want to try. Find out what your camera can do and then start to use the accessories.

Most of all, have fun.