Need some advice/opinions

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jwsciontc, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My birthday is on the 30th and I am asking for a dslr. Im looking for something with around 10mp and under 400 for the body. the 2 i have in mind are the Nikon D60 and the Canon Rebel XS

anybody have any opinions on these or have anything else to add?

I mostly shoot my car, scenery and lots of sports games. Right now i am leaning towards the d60 with the 55-200 lense

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. You'll love it, they're both fine cameras, get what you want, and post some pics once you get in a groove.

3. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought you were the one who "always recommended Pentax"? Hahaha busted! :D

4. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    me?

5. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    50 views and 1 reply????

6. Txaggie08

Txaggie08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon and canon are ford and chevy. I personally shot canon, and prefer canon. Some shoot nikon and prefer nikon. Since you're leaning towards sports and automotive, I'd steer you towards canon if you where one of my customers.

I will tell you that if you're looking at a d60, consider bumping up for about 100$ more to a D80, I know Ritz is closing them out for 699$ for the body at the moment, and you wont have the lens issues. That will give you access to older lenses and the sigma tamrons that are not AF-s compatible.

7. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i love canon also, and have one now and i dont really feel like learning nikon ahaha but is there a decent zoom lense for around the same price as the nikon 55-200?

8. Txaggie08

Txaggie08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well theres the sigma 70-300 APO version that's pretty sharp. There's also a canon 55-250 IS lens floating around.

9. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This Sigma DG 70-300 APO zoom is in Nikon AF-D D-matrix compatible mount, for use with Nikon 35mm and digital SLR systems, such as D70s, D50, N80, F80, N75, F75, F6, F5, D2x, D2h, etc.

doesnt look like it fits the d60, now im leaning towards the rebel xs with that 55-200 is lense. i think i may do that since i have canon software on my computer already and i am already familiar with canon from my s5,

decision decisions

10. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think its the rebel xs and a 55-200 ef lense

11. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok im finding the xsi body for under 300 whats up with that, i should get that over the xs! damn my minds all over the place

12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, Iron. He said a few months ago that he always recommends Pentax to n00bs. So me, being plagued with this memory of mine, poked a little fun at him when he went with the canon/nikon thing.

You're a popular read! :thumbup:

If I were spending under $500 on a dSLR it would NOT be Nikon or Canon. They make great high-end cameras but their low end cameras suck massive nuggets IMHO.

Olympus, Pentax, Sony, even Samsung all make better "entry level" cameras than Nikon or Canon. Both companies just strip too many features out and use all too inferior materials in their low-end models.

And this kinda brings me to a point where I spout yet again about how I think that the whole idea of "entry level" as applied to SLRs is a totally lame marketing concept and ploy that far too many n00bs swallow up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008