Need some advice Re: prego belly shots...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by bace, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So is there anything I should aim for? This is someone that should be pretty comfortable with me, and shouldn't have a problem gettin pretty nekid (top half).

Is there any particular way to set up for some dramaitic lighting?

I have two lights that's aren't that powerful and a 550ex flash for my 300D just so you know what my limitations are. I'm also dealing with just a wall as a background. I don't have a studio or anything.

Should I just go for shots of the belly? Are there any interesting ways to capture her face and expressions?

Bahh...i'm excited but nervous about this one. I'm always willing to try new stuff I just hope they're as good as I think she thinks they will be.

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have limited lighting equipment, I'd go for a window with a thin white sheet draped over it. It gives you a giant softbox. I think that's going to be important with the pregnant shots: keep them soft.

3. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    no windows. live in a basement.

holy crap i'm ghetto. luckily the lights i have are pretty soft. i'll be shooting in a pretty small room too. with white walls. should be a lot of bouncing light.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    By soft I don't mean weak. Brightness doesn't directly affect how diffuse light is. Larger lights are more diffuse, and therefor softer. That's why softboxes work so well. They make the light source huge. The problem with weak lights is that you have to get them close. This is good for diffusion, because it makes the light relatively larger, but the way light drops off (double distance = 1/4 power), most of it happens within the first couple of feet. If the light is very close, the front of the person can be too bright and the back too dim. Sunlight doesn't fall off like that because it's already traveled 19M miles. A few extra feet isn't even a drop in the bucket. With a strong light, you can set it back to even out the dropoff and still power through something like a sheet or softbox for diffusion.

You could try placing a lot of lights behind a hanging sheet. Just make sure you use all the same kind of bulbs. I'm not saying that a close, bare bulb won't work, and it's a good way to learn to see light, but it has a certain look that I recognize instantly. If it's a small room, maybe try hanging a sheet in the doorway and put the lights in the hallway. That way the heat stays out there and you have a nice rectangular giant softbox.

5. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    any suggestions for poses?

6. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

That is a tough question. What you are trying to convey, how do you feel about the subject, how about the model. Do you want to convey the 'joy', or the 'pain', or the 'incovenience', or the 'potential' of the new life, etc...

Try to avoid another 'pumpkin' shot - it's unkind to the model.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not off hand...but I'd search for other photos...web sites, magazines etc. Look for shots that you like and have her look for shots that she likes...then try to emulate those shots.

For some reason, I always thing 'dark background' for maternity shots...so maybe you can rig up a dark background.

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Mike about finding poses you like to emulate. I'm horrible at posing. Most of the stuff I do is candid.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took a wedding photography course a few months ago...and that was the only assignment...to find shots in magazines (and wherever) for the purpose of emulating them. Tear sheets he called them.

For weddings, you can pick your favorite and get the bride to pick some. After a while, you do the same ones over and over again...before you know it...you don't need the sheets and you have your own signature shots.

10. Nurd

Nurd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    does she have another kid?

11. dgs

dgs TPF Noob!