need some advice with animal potrait

scribblenauts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've just taken this with my new 50mm 1.4g. while it looks quite sharp i feel like its lacking in the white balance settings. what can i do to make him more alive? is he under-exposed?

4133361928_f6158c08d0.jpg

flickr link to the photo for larger sizes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scribblenauts/4133361928/

Last edited:
It would also be more useful if you posted a little bigger picture such as large from flickr so we can look at it, at full size and see what's sharp and what isn't and get a much better idea on detail and all that fun stuff. Try not to cut off parts of the body and WB doesn't seem like it's really off and he doesn't look under exposed. GL
tj

i dont think it's overexposed, seems about right. to me the problem is the distraction in the background. the tv and dresser on the left and the inflatable doll on the right (or whatever it is) take away a lot.

plus you cut off his ears and half his legs. if possible lose the collar.

your depth of field may be a bit too shallow too.

The cats face is darker than the background, but not underexposed. it's just that the lighting doesn't work. Plus, there are bright colors in the background fighting for the viewers attention, worse, they are complementry colors (yellow/blue) and they are almost on exactly the same line as his/her eyes.

I agree the DOF is to shallow (the ears should be in focus imo), and the collar and bell are also a distraction.

But, such things can be mitigated to some extent in post processing.

4133361928_f6158c08d0.jpg

Last edited:
link to the flickr page is on the first post now. lessons learnt about the background and cutting off his ear >< i guess i was trying to see how sharp the lens can be so i tried to be as close as i can get to the subject (macro-concept)

KMH, that looks better now! when i see the photo, i can focus on the his face straight away. the distractions in the bg is still there but slightly less distracting.

Most reactions

Back