Need some advice

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I volunteered to photograph our church's Vacation Bible Camp this summer. There are about 600 kids plus staff that attend. It is from 9am-noon so I know I'm going to be dealing with broad sunlight for much of the time. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on equipment/lenses that would best suit this type of an event. I currently have a 24-105 f/4L IS and a 50mm f/1.8. I'm getting a 580 EX next week (and hopefully can figure it out enough to take a decent shot before then) for fill flash. And I have a lone reflector (which will be useless unless I have someone to hold it for me). My husband works right down the street from Borrowlenses.com's store front and can rent anything for a pretty reasonable price (for locals) so I could rent lenses or other equipment that anyone thinks I should have in my bag. I would like to try new equipment out ahead of time so I know what to expect which is why I'm asking now. Ok, any advice?? Oh, I shoot with a Canon 30D.

Thanks so much!

I'm hoping to take some great shots mostly to get myself noticed in hopes of maybe taking some pictures someday for a little income. Seemed like a good opportunity to get my pictures out to lots of families.

Just shooting the "event". Nothing formal. Thanks

Your 24-105 can do the job. The 50 won't be helpful unless you are doing a formal setup that would be suited for that specific focal length. Your new flash will help with filling in shadows. Reflector won't help if you're alone, or kids are on the move. The best thing to do is to try to simulate the lighting conditions and shoot some kids well before hand. See what you get, what you like, what you don't. And then come back here with a couple of posts for further advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back