Need some Criticism on my Photos

Omarphoto6911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I️ wanna get better but I️ need people to let me know what I’m doing wrong so I️ can improve family and friends are no help
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

I already commented on these in the other thread but it's probably good you started a new thread for these so you can get opinions and suggestions.

I think family and friends might be trying to be supportive but may not know enough about photography to be able to help on how to learn and improve.

you have to state the purpose of the images to give better context.
i don't like subjects looking out the corner of their eyes.

I️ wanna get better but I️ need people to let me know what I’m doing wrong so I️ can improve family and friends are no help View attachment 150051View attachment 150052
#1; Your subject should have been turned toward the light, not with his back to the light. You centered him in the frame, but you should allow more space on the side where he is looking, so he has more space into which to look. (it's a psychological thing) Your model's posture and expression are doing him no favors. You could have asked him to stay erect and turn his face more toward the camera. What would it hurt him to smile?

#2; Pretty much the same objections as in #1, with the addition of far too much dark space showing very little detail in the lower half of the frame. Posing your model in the corn (maze) you've got some out-of-focus leaves in front of him, and some in-focus leaves way too close to his head. Those should have been moved away from his head or put far into the background to be out of focus. Your model needs to work on posing to his advantage, and you can help by making suggestions while you're making the photographs.

Last edited:
You're doing great. Love your lighting. No need to make the model face the light in the first shot. The lighting is interesting and not typical of "average" portraits, but you don't take "average" portraits, do you? You do great fashion photos, and you do much, much, much better than average or typical. Centered in the frame is great in the first shot as well, and it puts good focus on both he and the clothing. The expression and posture are also great. The points in the post above mine are valid, but in my opinion not valid for your photographs. Keep doing backlight when you feel it's necessary, as you have in the first shot (and it looks great). Continue posing men with brooding posture and expressions, it's very flattering for men's fashion portraits, especially in the editorial style that you capture them in. It’s clear to me that having him smile in these shots would look very out of place from the overall mood captured in these shots. I also really love the depth created by the corn leaves at different distances from the lens.

Perhaps one detail to consider in the first shot is the one dark corn leaf that cuts horizontally across the jacket. It interferes with the flow of composition, in my opinion, but it's a matter of taste.

How do you find your models? Do you go to agents? The best feedback I've ever gotten was from modeling agents, and other photographers who do model, fashion and editorial photography. If there's an agency near where you live or in a city nearby, see if you could set up a meeting and have them go over your portfolio; usually they are very willing to give you honest, helpful and relevant critique, especially if you want to test with their models. From the looks of your work, agencies should be dieing to get their models in front of your camera to test with you. Look up the agencies, email them, set up some tests and possibly a portfolio review.
My honest opinion is that you need to be getting feedback from a model agency or a very very select few photographers that you look up to, not here. Please don't allow anyone ^^here^^ to get in your head and sterilize your talent or style. You do great fashion/ editorial style portraits, keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back