Need some equipment thoughts - Canon

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by gtkelly, Jul 18, 2007.

1. gtkelly

gtkelly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking at improving my equipment a bit. Yeah - I know it doesn't take the picture but at least I'll look cool. I've got a Canon 400D\XTI. Kit 18-55 lens + a 75 - 300 USM that I bought before I knew any better.

So first thing I think I need is lenses. I'm trying to put together a decent kit that can cover about anything I'd want it to do. I also want to make sure that if I do upgrade bodies the lenses would still work.

Lenses would be
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L
    and
    Canon 70-200 F/2.8L (+ 1.4 teleconverter)

Is this overkill? Should I substitute the 20-105 F4 for the 24-70? Should I look at something else?

Also looking for a flash. Is the 580 really $200+ better than the 430?

2. Smith2688

Smith2688 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 24-70 is a little long on a APS sized DSLR like the 400D. You might want to check out the Canon 17-40mm f/4.0L. I know it's not as fast as the 17-70, but you get a much wider view. You might also want to pick up the Canon 50mm f/1.8. It's quite fast and the image quality is great, especially for the price (although build quality isn't the highest).

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If you can afford it... go ahead....

Look into past threads taht compare 24-70mm f2.8 to the 24-105mm f4L IS.
    They are often compared to each other but have very different applications..

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 24-70 F2.8 L is a great lens but I agree that it's a bit of an awkward focal length on these cameras.

The 17-40 F4 L is also a great lens but you may find yourself wishing for a an F2.8 lens.

I believe the solution is the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS. Not only do you get F2.8, but you also have IS. It's not an L lens (none of the EF-S lenses are) but I have heard from many people that this lens performs as well as an L lens.

You can't go wrong with any of the four versions of the 70-200mm. If you are going to spend the money, you might as well go all the way and get the F2.8 with IS.

That depends. Do you plan on ever getting another flash or using off camera flash? If so, might be best to have the 580.
    The 580 can act as either a master or a slave while the 430 is only a slave.
    The new 580EX II has a few new features, as well as being weather sealed.

5. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    While Big Mike is correct in his assessment, that is exactly what I have for my 30D. I have to say though that I also have the 10-22mm Ultra wide so I have quite good coverage across the range. My next body will be a 5D so I wanted to stay away from EF-S lenses as much as possible. I won't get rid of the 30D so the 10-22 is fine with me, but everything else I own will fit full frame and is at least f2.8 or faster.

6. gtkelly

gtkelly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 5D upgrade is why I'm trying to steer clear of EF-S as well. I don't plan on the upgrade to 5D right now but do want to keep that option open. I'd also like to use the same lens set on a film camera at some point. The EF\L lenses just seem more flexible long term and at the prices they have to be considered as a longer term investment.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

If that is the case and you go with the 24-70 and the 70-200 seriously consider adding the 10-22 or the Sigma 10-20. You will probably find that you will need that ultra wide angle for the 1.6 crop sensors. I can't speak for the Sigma but IMHO the 10-22 is L quality, or pretty darn close. I also don't believe that Canon will be putting the L marking on any EF-S glass. I have been known to be wrong however.

8. TomHuck-wa

TomHuck-wa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a 20D plus a 5D, I keep the 24-70 f2.8 on the 5D and the 70-200 f2.8IS on the 20D so I dont have to change lenses. I caught a coyote crossing the road the other day, if I had to change lenses I would not have gotten the shot. Also I usually keep the 2x tele on with the 70-200. I dont have to change lenses very often, and I have another 20D that usually gets all the lens changes. Having said all that, I love the 50mm 1.4 for landscapes. just a thought.

9. gtkelly

gtkelly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well - all great advice. After thinking it through I've changed a bit.

For normal walkaround I'm going with the 24-105 F4 L IS
    Wide angle - Sigma 10-20
    Tele - 100-400 F4.5/5.6L IS

I'm gearing up for 2 weeks in Yellowstone next year I'm 40 and have been waiting for this trip for 34 years!!!!

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    24-105mm and 100-400mm thats what I pack for long walks.... works great together.

11. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you like the L glass, and can afford it, and think the 24-70 is too wide (i personally disagree, but I don't take many wide angle shots) then another option is the 16-35 f 2.8 L lens.

12. MikeR

MikeR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 The IQ is equal to that of the Canon and the price is much less (-$450)

I retired my Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6,( which had great IQ for the price.) in favor of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and the 1.4 TC. The IQ is excellent but it's a heavy lens, close to 3lbs without the TC. My shooting does not require IS so I saved several hundred dollars.