Need some feedback/hel developing a portrait style

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took this a few days ago and I'll post the story below the image.

I don't feel like I got his character, he wasn't totally compliant subject but I just feel I could have come away with something better

Any thoughts

JAO_5493v3.jpg

Restaurant owner and chef. When asked why aren't there any menus he told me
'What need have I for menus? I haven't cooked the same dish in the last 6 months. Today I am doing a fusion of curry from two cultures that my mother showed me'

Humm, I have a meeting in 30mins how hot is it?

It's lovely and you can't get this dish anywhere in London.

Ok I'll give it a shot, two please.

£9 for two and it was a good as he said.

Then I asked to take his photo, 'why' he asked ' because you have an interesting face and just cooked me a great dinner' - whilst taking this shot

This is overdone I know but I think that selective sharpening would punch this up a bit.

IMO, this picture needs some contrast and texture on the surface to induce some character.

jao5493v3ccccib6.jpg

His hair is a great asset...you lost too much detail in it. I would like to see it shot a little wider open...the bg is slightly distracting. It could also be a little sharper. On that note, I think Lew's edit is oversharpened, but to each his own.

Yes I agree with Max it is oversharpened. The point I was trying to show was the the light on his face was really diffuse and the face needed some sharpening to give it some character. The hair and shirt are over-dark and needs some lightening.

I like this quite a bit more than the color. I can't understand why, but I see a greater ratio in the lighting here, adding a lot more interest for me.

Nice.

-Pete

I'm generally not a fan of the Dragan style look, but I thought it could work here. Not sure that I like it, but I thought someone else might.

chefcolor2fw2.jpg

i tried the dragan thing too, but didnt like it, so i came up with something different-

Draganized.jpg

I think that you need to distinguish and adjust your methods between candid portraits of characters and more sophisticated portraits.

As a chef and restaurant owner, it should have been visually apparent from the photo that this was what he did for a living. There is nothing in this portrait that suggests flair, creativity, or artistry with food. As a matter of fact the scar under his lip suggests he could be a former boxer, street fighter or hoodlum.

Portraits whether candid or formal, require a considerable amount of thought, planning and a great eye for having all the photographic elements fiting together to give the right overall look that jives with the work and personality of the individual.

skieur

I agree skieur but thats how he was dressed and stood.

I don't think he would have let me into the kitchen, i don't know of course because I didn't ask him.

I suspect if there were menus behind him it might have helped, but as he said he doesn't need them...

So there is no context and this might be part of the problem?

Other wise its just a head and shoulders shot?

'Portraits whether candid or formal, require a considerable amount of thought, planning and a great eye for having all the photographic elements fiting together to give the right overall look that jives with the work and personality of the individual.' - Thats what I was after

As to the suggestion he might have been a 'head banger', it wouldn't surprise me. LOL

Most reactions

Back