Need some feedback/hel developing a portrait style

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by Hair Bear, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

I took this a few days ago and I'll post the story below the image.

I don't feel like I got his character, he wasn't totally compliant subject but I just feel I could have come away with something better

Any thoughts

[​IMG]

Restaurant owner and chef. When asked why aren't there any menus he told me
    'What need have I for menus? I haven't cooked the same dish in the last 6 months. Today I am doing a fusion of curry from two cultures that my mother showed me'

Humm, I have a meeting in 30mins how hot is it?

It's lovely and you can't get this dish anywhere in London.

Ok I'll give it a shot, two please.

£9 for two and it was a good as he said.

Then I asked to take his photo, 'why' he asked ' because you have an interesting face and just cooked me a great dinner' - whilst taking this shot

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is overdone I know but I think that selective sharpening would punch this up a bit.

IMO, this picture needs some contrast and texture on the surface to induce some character.

[​IMG]

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    His hair is a great asset...you lost too much detail in it. I would like to see it shot a little wider open...the bg is slightly distracting. It could also be a little sharper. On that note, I think Lew's edit is oversharpened, but to each his own.

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes I agree with Max it is oversharpened. The point I was trying to show was the the light on his face was really diffuse and the face needed some sharpening to give it some character. The hair and shirt are over-dark and needs some lightening.

5. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

Tried a b/w conversion and a little dodge and burn

[​IMG]

6. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I like this quite a bit more than the color. I can't understand why, but I see a greater ratio in the lighting here, adding a lot more interest for me.

Nice.

-Pete

7. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm generally not a fan of the Dragan style look, but I thought it could work here. Not sure that I like it, but I thought someone else might.

[​IMG]

8. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i tried the dragan thing too, but didnt like it, so i came up with something different-

[​IMG]

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that you need to distinguish and adjust your methods between candid portraits of characters and more sophisticated portraits.

As a chef and restaurant owner, it should have been visually apparent from the photo that this was what he did for a living. There is nothing in this portrait that suggests flair, creativity, or artistry with food. As a matter of fact the scar under his lip suggests he could be a former boxer, street fighter or hoodlum.

Portraits whether candid or formal, require a considerable amount of thought, planning and a great eye for having all the photographic elements fiting together to give the right overall look that jives with the work and personality of the individual.

skieur

10. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

I agree skieur but thats how he was dressed and stood.

I don't think he would have let me into the kitchen, i don't know of course because I didn't ask him.

I suspect if there were menus behind him it might have helped, but as he said he doesn't need them...

So there is no context and this might be part of the problem?

Other wise its just a head and shoulders shot?

'Portraits whether candid or formal, require a considerable amount of thought, planning and a great eye for having all the photographic elements fiting together to give the right overall look that jives with the work and personality of the individual.' - Thats what I was after

As to the suggestion he might have been a 'head banger', it wouldn't surprise me. LOL