Need some help:chopped heads

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by yusia, Nov 20, 2006.

1. yusia

yusia TPF Noob!

Yesterday I took some photos at a baby shower for one of my colleges.
    Then I edited them in PS (some cropping, levels etc), burned to the CD and brought to Wallgreens.
    Prints of the half of the photos came out with the heads chopped, and the guy said that`s because I edited the photos. He tried to print 5x7 instead of 4x6 - all the same.
    I didn`t believe him, uploaded all the pics to fotki.com, and decided to order from there. Uploaded, in the folder, they looked just fine!
    But on the preview in the selling cart exactly the same photos that were chopped in wallgreens, look chopped the same way! Does anybody have a clue, what is going on?
    Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What ratio are your images at? What is the size in pixels?

If you want to print at 4"x6" without cropping...they need to have a 2:3 aspect ratio. If you are printing at 5"x7"...they need to have that aspect ratio. 8x10 etc.

Here are two quick methods to size your images for printing. First, use the crop tool...from the pull down on the top tool bar, you should have some presets. 4x6 @ 300 PPI, 5x7 @ 300 PPI etc. Use one of those...then when the crop tool will be constrained to that aspect ratio and the resolution will be correct.

Another method is to open a new canvas (file/new)...and pick one of the presets. You should be able to pick standard photo sizes...4x6 @ 300 PPI, 5x7 etc. Then go back to your image...select all then copy...go to the new canvas and paste. Drag and/or resize your image on the new canvas until you get the crop that you like.

3. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you uploaded your pictures to Walgreens there should be a preview icon, it will show you what your prints will look like under all of the different sizes. There will be some cropping going from 4x6 to 5x7 and to 8x10. They will all look slightly different. When in PS you need to decide what you want and size it before you upload. If your pictures were saved to a folder you can log in to thier site. Then you can go back like you were going to reorder and check....
    Cosmo