Need some help Digital SLR advice & College

ShaforDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some help Digital SLR advice ...

Hell-o & thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a new member to this site. I love what I have looked at so far. To make a long story short I need a SLR Digital camera for college. I need to know what is a good SLR camera for someone that is on a budget. I am looking to stay under $600.00..

I was looking into Nikon's D40 or D70 @ best.com they come with a lenses... I am a n00b when it comes to using SLR so any advice or pointers you can give will highly be appreciated. I will also be using the SLR camera that I buy for my website Shafor Designs Freelance Digital Artist I would like to get into taking wedding photos & motor sport images.

This is what my college class is going to be about...

ARTPH 305 Digital Photography 3 Units

Prerequisite: None.
Advisory: ARTNM 302
Course Transferable to UC/CSU
Hours: 36 hours LEC ; 54 hours LAB
Description: This is a course in basic digital photography. Topics include digital camera functions, exposure systems using f-stop and shutter speed combinations, digital shooting practices, photographic composition and aesthetics, editing tools and software, and print portfolio development. It also includes issues in contemporary photography and the history of photography. Digital cameras with adjustable f-stops and shutter speeds, camera memory cards, re-writable CD's and memory devices are required. Field trips may be required.

- Warren L. Shafor
Shafor Designs Freelance Digital Artist

Community college course I'm assuming. A used D50. Don't bother with the D40 or the over inflated cost of the D70. D50's can be had for 300 bucks or less, and then you can pick up a 120 dollar 50MM F/1.8. You will be set all semester.

This is a link to Cameta camera on ebay. Very trustworthy company. I have 4 cameras from them. Never a problem. Couple of them are demo's and I have not had a problem. Oldest one being 6 years now.

Now the camera is a Demo. But it will look and act as new. Cameta does include a warranty for 1 year on it. Same as if it were comming from Nikon (just not Nikon warranty). It includes the kit lens which will get you through your class. And of course being a Nikon there are many many lens options when the time comes to get more.

Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera Body +18-55mm Lens Kit USA - eBay (item 110391308476 end time Jun-16-09 08:34:11 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a link to Cameta camera on ebay. Very trustworthy company. I have 4 cameras from them. Never a problem. Couple of them are demo's and I have not had a problem. Oldest one being 6 years now.

Now the camera is a Demo. But it will look and act as new. Cameta does include a warranty for 1 year on it. Same as if it were comming from Nikon (just not Nikon warranty). It includes the kit lens which will get you through your class. And of course being a Nikon there are many many lens options when the time comes to get more.

Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera Body +18-55mm Lens Kit USA - eBay (item 110391308476 end time Jun-16-09 08:34:11 PDT)

Why is a D80 better then a D40 & I am also having a hard time finding a retail store that will allow me to compare the 2 cameras :confused:

The Nikon D50 is a good recommendation. The hard part will be finding one to buy because those that have one tend to hold onto it it's that good.

I checked a reputable online used camera outlet www.keh.com but they didn't have any D50's. Ebay had a couple of auctions for D50's but there were D70' for auction to for about the same price.

Last edited:
Why is a D80 better then a D40 & I am also having a hard time finding a retail store that will allow me to compare the 2 cameras :confused:

A D80 is an advanced amature camera. The D40 is Nikons lowest level DSLR. The D80 will allow you to use any Nikon AF lens with autofocus. The body of the camera has a focusing drive that the older lens design requires (they are still made along side the new designs).

The D40 does not have the body focusing drive. So, to get AF on it, you have to use lenses that have their own focusing motors.

The D80 will have more controls. The D40 is menu based. So to make some changes you have to click through menu's. The D80 will also have more advanced features over the D40.

There are a bunch of differences, but basically the D80 is an advanced camera, and the D40 is a entry level camera. Thats not to say its no good. As it does produce very good pictures. It's just the D80 has more options and a better build, also larger in size, if you have big hands the D40 may feel small. The D80 also has a higher mp sensor. Basically if your serious into expanding your art with photography, the D80 would give you more options.

I have a D50 as mentioned above and it would be a good camera as they suggest. But I have only seen them offered as used, and not as often as the other models. My wife loves it, and still preffers it to our new D300's. But as she is learning the D300 she is slowly moving away from the D50. Like the D80 the D50 allows use of the non-moterized AF lenses.

The D80 was replaced by the D90. So, the major retail stores are not carrying it. Thats the reason I linked the ebay "Factory Demo" one. Go to www.nikonusa.com they still list the information on the D80.

Last edited:

The D40 is a compact camera and Nikon didn't put an Auto Focus motor in it to keep it compact. So, you need lenses that have a focus motor in them if you want the Auto Focus capability.

The D80 is a larger camera and has a focus motor built into the body. You don't need lenses that have a focus motor in them.

If you get the D80 and lens you were referred to you'll have 2 focus motors, 1 in the D80 and another in the lens, because that lens has a focus motor in it so it can AF on a D40, D40X or D60.

The D80 has more pixels and other desireable features lacking on the entry level D40.

Nikon makes a range of entry level cameras: D40 ($500, with 18-55mm lens), D40X (discontinued), D60, D70, D80 (discontinued), D90 ($1000, no lense), and the brand new D5000 ($730, no lens).

Next is Nikons Pro-sumer line: D100, D200, D300 ($1800, no lens), D700 ($3000, no lens).

Then the Pro models the D3 ($4500, no lens) and D3X ($8000, no lens)

Last edited:
check out other online stores besides BB. check dell out see if they have discount.

What are some trusted new & used websites to buy online from ?

What are some trusted new & used websites to buy online from ?
The most trusted online site for used is www.keh.com .

Online new: www.BHphotovideo.com
www.adorama.com
www.buydig.com (also known as Beach Camera)
www.amazon.com (If amazon or one of these other retailers listed hear fulfills the order)
www.bestbuy.com
www.cameta.com (an authorized seller of refurbished Nikon gear)

I added bestbuy.com because they have new D200's (body only) for $680 right now and occasionally lower that to $600 like they did last week.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
agree if you can find a used D50 to go for it. i got a D50 in 2005 and i love it. i actually prefer it to my D90 when shooting in apature priority and i don't need the high ISO of the D90.

So as of right now I am learning towards these 3 models from Nikon

D50 , D80 & D90

I am still new to this whole SLR cameras & I really do not under stand much about them.

I want something that will last for years to come & that will not be out dated in the next 2-4 years. I want something with auto focus

I have large hands so witch one would be better for my hands ? also what is the biggest changes between the D50, D80 & D90 ?

there are tons of differences between 50/80/90
the D90 is a new version of the D80.
the D50 is the oldest version but there was no replacement to the D50, it was a discontinued line; however it's the cheapest and still has great performance.

both the D50 and D80 would be considered "out of date" but are still excellent cameras. you don't need the newest and best body.

as far as your hands, all three are the same shape/size.

I posted the D80 link because that was only $20 more than your listed budget. If you could possibly spend the extra money. A D90 would be the way to go. Now if you feel that you want to save a little and get a good used lens. A good lens will last you years. Bodies are updated about every 2-3 years for some models. A D50 used with a good 50mm f/1.4AF-D would be a very very good start. Next option would be a D50 with a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D. Again D50's are not as available as some of the other models. But if you do need to stay within your budget, the D80 is no slouch. Even though the newer D90 has some newer technology over the
D80. The D80 would be ahead of the D50 technology and build wise. The D50 was the original Nikon entry level DSLR (D40 line replaced it).

Above they mentioned the D200 at Best Buy. If you could get a D200 for $600 or even the sale price of $680. That would be the best option. Now your spending your whole budget or little more for just a camera body. But, the D200 is an advanced to pro level body in terms of build and capability. Again more features, and of course a step up from the D80.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back