Need some help with a few Rodeo shots I took.

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i have some shots I took at a local rodeo and I was wondering how they could be improved, and what I could do next time to get better success.
I was shooting at the opposite end of the arena and at that about 5ft back from the gate, shooting through the posts; it was a PIA.
Here is the first one I took of some break away. I went B/W on it because of all the colors that were distracting in the background of the original image.
11.jpg

Here is one with a whole lot of distraction, Just don't know how to fix it other then change the color (or getting a better lense), any ideas?
1.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
quick edit (needs to be cropped better but meh)

12.jpg

Number 1: Either do full B&W or put the color back in. The selective color here doesn't work.

Number 2: Tighter crop to pull the rider in midair more into the view. It gets lost now in the background crowd.

Number 3: Nothing special.

You're saturating your color too much on all of them. It looks unnatural.

Rodeo is easy to shoot during the day. Just use a long lens, get high on it and get close. I think you were a little too far away from the action or weren't using long enough glass.

My two cents...

I hope you don't mind the edits. But here's a couple of ideas.

1. Maybe going with a sepia tone. Blurred the background a bit.
33ellag.jpg

2. Tried to desaturate the colours a bit. Blurred the background a little. And a slight glamour glow.
f9mavp.jpg

Nice edit to sepia. Looks rodeo-ie.

I really like what mike did with them. and Here's What i did with them. idk if they look that much better but i guess thats up to yall. lol

1.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

arg, im curious now. lol i hope ive improved them somewhat!

Last edited:
Mickmicki's edits came out and gave me an idea...

RodeoEdit.jpg

Isolated the rider and horse from the background and ran the BG through the High Pass filter (2pix radius, faded to 25%) to mute the background while still preserving the rider and horse with those really great colors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back