Need some help with lighting

Tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tls-photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having a hard time with lighting, I need some help. I'll post a few shots and please help me find the sweet spot I need.

Good

Bad
BB7Medium.jpg

?????
Bad2Medium.jpg

I don't quite understand your question. But I'll have a shot at what I think you mean.

The reason the top one is better than the second one is indeed the lighting like you've suggested. In the second there is a strong backlight from the sky and water. To get around that, use flashes to brighten up your foreground (people). Although it looks like you've tried to do this because I can see some light reflections.... or move the people as you've done in the first shot.

The first one also has a dark blurry background which helps make the people stand out.

The third one simply has too many shadows across their faces. Move yourself more around to the left or to the right to get rid of the shadows.. or use some reflectors or other light sources.

Also in relation to the poses. I have to say I love the first one. everyone's overlapping - so it makes them look slimmer - as opposed to the second one where each person is easily defined. Does that make sense?

And the third one is sweet I just wish I could see more of where they're sitting.

I agree with Meysha. The first one is fine as you have indicated. The subjects are lit appropriately with nice soft light that shapes the faces. In #2, the lighting looks flat, so you obviously used a flash to overpower the backlight which was quite strong. Choosing a less bright background would have helped in this case. In #3, a reflector positioned quite close to their faces would have provided some nice fill light, or using a fill flash with some diffusion. Same thing with the last one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back