Need some help with remote flashes.

lowcel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, I am very new to photography (other than point and shoot) so I am pretty clueless about most things in this hobby. The main reason I purchased my new camera (Canon XS) was for aquarium photography. The best pictures I have seen use a flash on top of the aquarium and a flash on the camera.

My question is, what do I need to purchase to be able to use two flashes? The flash built on the camera would probably be fine for the on camera flash but I can buy another one if necessary. I also have a Canon 430EX II flash being delivered today. I would prefer to not spend any more money than necessary.

There are a few options to fire these wirelessly, but I'm sure youre only interested in the two cheaper options. There are Cactus triggers and there are cybersyncs. I personally use cybersyncs for their reliability and range, but in this case even the cactus triggers would work for you. They each have a transmitter that sits in the hot shoe of your flash and a receiver thats plugged into the flash. However, I dont believe canon flashes have a pc port so you would need to buy a hot shoe adapter with a pc port.

Would I still be able to use my on camera flash with those?

One other question. I was told by B&H that the best way to use an on camera flash and the 430EX II off camera would be to purchase a Canon 580EX II flash and it would control it. Is that true? It is more than I really want to spend but if it is my best / only option I may not have a choice.

Here is a link to it. Canon | 580EX II Flash | 1946B002 | B&H Photo Video

One other question. I was told by B&H that the best way to use an on camera flash and the 430EX II off camera would be to purchase a Canon 580EX II flash and it would control it. Is that true? It is more than I really want to spend but if it is my best / only option I may not have a choice.

Here is a link to it. Canon | 580EX II Flash | 1946B002 | B&H Photo Video

You can't use your on camera flash with those, its one or the other. You can do as B&H said and use the 580 as a commander to control the 430 but you have to make sure the commander can "see" the other flash. It'll send out an infra red beam to trigger the other flash, so as long as there is a clean line of sight, you should be ok.

You can't use your on camera flash with those, its one or the other. You can do as B&H said and use the 580 as a commander to control the 430 but you have to make sure the commander can "see" the other flash. It'll send out an infra red beam to trigger the other flash, so as long as there is a clean line of sight, you should be ok.

Are there any options you would recommend over the 580? I'm not sure if I will have line of site when I get close to the tank for a macro.

Do you have any links to examples of the kinds of images you want to replicate?

Are there any options you would recommend over the 580? I'm not sure if I will have line of site when I get close to the tank for a macro.

To be honest I would just use the one light on top. If you have one facing at the glass I would think you'd get quite a glare.

Do you have any links to examples of the kinds of images you want to replicate?

Here is a link to some pictures like I would like to be able to get.

Recent random pics.... - MonsterFishKeepers.com

I could probably get by with just the overhead flash but it would be nice to have options.

To me these look like they are just lit with the overhead flash. Shooting a flash into the glass of the tank would make a large flare and also reveal any kind of imperfections on the glass so you wouldnt get a clear picture like the examples.

I think you are probably right. Are the cactus triggers reliable or would I be better off going with something a little better? I'm not having any luck finding the cybersyncs for sale anywhere so I can't really check them out.

Thank you very much for the information and the link.

Most reactions

Back