Need some help with this sun/land shot

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any help on these shots?

I took three different exposures < sorry no I didn't make notes and using film so no data!

They are all on 400iso b/w film

What questions am I asking?

They don't look like what i was looking at, I saw streaming light through the clouds.

I have few more on a colour film waiting to be dev'd but any input would be great, thanks

I really like the dramatic sky in 3 and you can just see the light beems I was trying to capture!

you need a graduated neutral density filter to get both detail in the land as well as not blow out the sun.

Someone help me here: is a graduated neutral density filter one that is darker at the top but a normal bright at the bottom so when you expose the sky is kind of having "sunglasses" before it but the ground does not?

So you can achieve an effect in ONE frame that others work at by doing HDRs? (OK they get ever so much more sharpness in the end, too, but also perfectly exposed bright parts as well as equally well exposed dark parts ... all in the same frame).

If what I am asking for is the effect then I might want to have such kind of filter.

And HairBear, I think you are getting where you initially wanted to get to with two and three combined ... that looks quite neat. Can you do all this in the darkroom?

'Back in the day' yes I think it would be dark room stuff. Either over or under expose parts of the frame.

Now my film gets scanned when its dev'd so I used Pshop.

That one is a qucik and dirty but if you think its worth it I'll do it and take some time with it.

Hair Bear said:
and whats a HDRs please?

High Dynamic Range.

I'm new to the process, but from what I understand it takes portions of several exposures and combines them.

here's my first attempt;
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60036

To watch (and there are more);
Remi M.
Mommyof4 boys
and as LaPhoto mentions in the thread above, KenCo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back