Need some help with this...

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this a couple minutes ago and at first decided it wasn't a keeper, but now i can't make my mind up. I felt that the DoF was a little too shallow, so I cropped it a little, then I decided I didnt really like that one much either. I keep going back and forth. What do yall think?

Here's the original:

johnface2original.jpg

here's the crop:
Johnface2-sm.jpg

bw version:
Johnface2-smbw.jpg

Info:

taken at 85mm, f2.2, ISO 800

thanks!

I'm a big fan of b&w so I like the second crop. As far as the original, A 5x7 crop from left to right would take off a little of the right side of the image centering your subject up for overall balance. Just a thought.

I think that the cropped versions are mysterious...very intriguing although I am unsure whether I like the color or B&W better...

~Fiona

I'm a fan of second one... bu twhat do you think about cloning out the red t-shirt?

The lit eye looks to be in focus, so the DOF looks fine to me. I really like the tilt of the head, so the only thing I would do is crop in on the right to an 8x10 ratio and call it done. If you do go B&W, I would just bring up the contrast a touch.

Really nice job.

I think the first one (the original) is fine.
Shallow depth of field in a portrait doesn't matter so long as the eyes are in focus - and they are.
All it needed was a reflector to bounce a little light back in to the dark side of the face to give a bit of info there and pull down the brightness on the other side.
The rest all depends on what you were trying to do.
Photography starts when you look at a subject and decide what you want to do - not when you look at a picture you've taken and try do do something with it.

Hertz van Rental said:
Photography starts when you look at a subject and decide what you want to do - not when you look at a picture you've taken and try do do something with it.
I agree, but I've found that playing with photos afterwards has trained my eye so that I'm much better at doing it ahead of time in the camera.

^same here.

thanks for the tips guys!

hertz, I thought about using a reflector, but I didnt really have anything to prop it up with, and the 'model' was getting a little antsy (he was playing computer when I told him to look at the camera...that's what the key light is :)).

good point about the 8x10 crop...I do those quite often but usually only if it's for a specific purpose (i.e., before I print). That way I'll have the extra ends just in case I feel I want them back.

the reason I felt the DoF was too shallow was because only one of the eyes was in focus. That usually isnt a problem if the subject is in a 3/4 pose or not facing the camera so much, but in this one he's basically facing right at the camera. it just seemed weird for one eye to be OoF when he was facing so directly.

thanks for the suggestion mentos! I left the red shirt because I felt it helped the composition. It helps 'round out' the image, and adds some color too. I didn't really want to do this type of crop since it's so overdone, so I left the shirt to give it a little more originality. Without it his face would just be floating in space and look awkward.

I don’t like the reflections in the eyes, but I do like the first crop, the softness and colors are good IMO

I see why you wouldnt...but is there anything I can do about it? I couldnt at the time I shot it, but maybe with post processing I could pull something off. Cindy, you can post your version you PM'd me if you still have it up (i appreciate the PM!). The main reason I didnt remove the catchlights is that it looks quite odd to have none at all. It would almost be better to simply remove all but one part.

I think you are agonising over it too much.
The first one is fine, the catchlights are OK and it does the job.
You get a feel for the subject and playing around with the image is just going to lose that.
Either re-shoot it or leave it as is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back