Need some help with what to buy...

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I mostly photograph action sports such as snowboarding, skiing, and skateboarding and I need some help choosing some new gear. right now I have a rebel xt with the kit lens and a 28-90mm. I can get a lens for christmas with a limit of about $1000 plus I have about $700 of my own money. This is what I was looking at getting:
A tripod: Manfrotto 055 Tracker Tripod: $240
head: Induro SA-0 SA Tripod Head: $60
Lens: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Wide Angle Zoom: $860

Total spent: $1160
Left over: $540

What could I get with the remaining money or what could I change about what I want? I have a good bag and I don't want/need a flash.

dont you need something longer for action sports snowboarding ?

Well I mostly photograph action sports such as snowboarding, skiing, and skateboarding and I need some help choosing some new gear. right now I have a rebel xt with the kit lens and a 28-90mm. I can get a lens for christmas with a limit of about $1000 plus I have about $700 of my own money. This is what I was looking at getting:
A tripod: Manfrotto 055 Tracker Tripod: $240
head: Induro SA-0 SA Tripod Head: $60
Lens: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Wide Angle Zoom: $860

Total spent: $1160
Left over: $540

What could I get with the remaining money or what could I change about what I want? I have a good bag and I don't want/need a flash.

Unless you're really not satisfied with the performance of your kit lens, i think the 17-40 is kind of redundant. If you like sports and such, a tele is a must and a lot of fun. The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is what i have and can't get enough of it.

Regarding the flash - i think everyone needs one, so my money would go there. It's "sunshine in the palm of your hand", a very valuable tool that may take a long time to master, but once you do, it opens up a whole new world.

There's also the ultra-wide angle lenses that are fun and could be used for interesting shots of skiing, skateboarding and the like. The Sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22 come to mind.

G'Luck.

yeah I was thinking of a super-wide but I can only see using it as a novelty. and about the tele I think I may get one.

That 28-90 is really kinda slow and short for what I'd imagine myself using.
I wouldn't leave the house on a sports mission without a fast telephoto.
But if your happy with the results from that, I say buy a flash to compliment it, you'll certainly squeeze every last bit of performance out of that 28-90 using flash.
It will come in handy with that 17-40, f/4 aint the fastest.

you dont want to hear that:lmao:

I'd have thought that a ski slope is the last place on earth a flash is required!!! I cannot think of a situtation where the light will be more abundant from every direction imaginable. In fact you might want to think about a circular polariser to cut out some of the stray bit of light bouncing about all over the place.

Then again I know nothing about skiing and snowboarding photography so I stand to be corrected! Ultra wide sounds like a fun idea though...

yeah I was thinking of a super-wide but I can only see using it as a novelty. and about the tele I think I may get one.

Just to make sure, i'm not talking about a circular fisheye. Just a "regular" ultra-wide. Check out Canon and Sigma's sites for sample images. They're very useful lenses for close-quarters, like in small rooms and such.

Astronaut - you're right, but he does shoot things other than skiing, so a flash might come in handy when he steps off the giant reflector that is the slopes.

What about 200mm f/2.8L II USM Telephoto Lens and a 50mm f/1.8? I was thinking about it and to really stop the action I need something fast and also it's very easy to take a few (or alot) of steps back on the hill but I can only get so close and still be safe. Also this winter ill mostly only be using my slr for snowboarding and out-door stuff so I don't need a flash.

I shoot a tremendous amount of sports. Everything from equine, softball, volleyball, football you name it. My main lens is a 70-200mm 2.8L, if you get that lens you will never regret it. Also makes a very respectable portrait lens and an incredibly versatile wedding lens.

I shoot a tremendous amount of sports. Everything from equine, softball, volleyball, football you name it. My main lens is a 70-200mm 2.8L, if you get that lens you will never regret it. Also makes a very respectable portrait lens and an incredibly versatile wedding lens.
what about the 200mm prime? i cant efford a f/2.8 tele zoom

I think this snow reflecter thing is over emphasized, I use flash fill with snow all the time, it will be usefull especially with stop action on a dull day, maybe not as effective at 200mm, but at shorter lengths...definately.
Don't under estimate the usefullness of flash....seriously...I'd buy 1 lens and 1 flash rather than 2 lenses every time.

seriously, the snow thing isn't a huge advantage, ok so theres a little more light flying about, you still need to control the highlights that will be the snow, and maintain detail in your subject.

I'd have thought that a ski slope is the last place on earth a flash is required!!! I cannot think of a situtation where the light will be more abundant from every direction imaginable. In fact you might want to think about a circular polariser to cut out some of the stray bit of light bouncing about all over the place.

Then again I know nothing about skiing and snowboarding photography so I stand to be corrected! Ultra wide sounds like a fun idea though...

Exactly. Think back lighting times 100....... A flash is pretty good shooting on the slopes, especially [obviously?] when you are somewhat close to the action and using a short lens etc.

Most reactions

Back