need some help

darker@

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello!

i was just starting to do some proper b-w photography and i got Fixer Kodak T-Max 1l and Developer Kodak D-76 for 3,8l in pouder. i was wondering can i use this products for both developing the film (negative) and photo paper (pozitive)? Or do i have to have a specific one for either of this steps or all that matters is the different concentration? Also any advice is very welcome and respected :wink:.
have a nice day.

you can use the same type of fixer for both prints or film.

however developer is usually product specific; i.e. film developer for film ( which is what you have) and paper developers for papers.

several years ago there was a universal developer but i am not sure if it is still around.

you indicated Kodak fixer t-max

just to be sure, there is a film developer by kodak called t-max developer, and then there is kodak fixer. which do you have?

they are different products

i have a fixer named Kodak T- Max, the name of developer is Kodak D-76. so i guees i have to buy another developer for paper?

yes,a try dektol which is also a kodak product, or perhaps LPD with has a long tray life.

just pick one stick with the same chemistry until you have a better sense of what can be done with what you have

Developing times using Kodak Dektol for film can be found at the
Massive Dev Chart at digitaltruth.com

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Dektol has the same developing agents as D76, metol and hydroquinone, but it uses sodium carbonate as an accelerator instead of sodium sulfite. The sodium sulfite also acts as a solvent which softens the grain of the film. The net result is that film developed in Dektol will appear to be grainier.

what will happen if i also use developer d76 for developing paper? i was reading literature and realized that back then it was usual to use the same developer for both film and paper so what has changed now? also i read that fixer that i have, thats kodak tmax is only good to use with films? is that true? thank you for your help

since your just beginning i would not recommend using dektol which is a paper developer for film nor a film developer for the paper.

people have done so but because they are thinking outside the box, which imho , is not a good thing when one just starts out and knows nothing about what a print or negative should look like (no offense here).

what will happen if i also use developer d76 for developing paper? i was reading literature and realized that back then it was usual to use the same developer for both film and paper so what has changed now? also i read that fixer that i have, thats kodak tmax is only good to use with films? is that true? thank you for your help
Paper developer has a higher concentrate of carbonate and hydroquinone and may be too contrasty, or too active for film. Visa versa using D76 for papers. I imagine you can experiment diluting Dektol for film, but I don't see the point unless you want to bring it up in a conversation.:)

Dektol has the same developing agents as D76, metol and hydroquinone, but it uses sodium carbonate as an accelerator instead of sodium sulfite. The sodium sulfite also acts as a solvent which softens the grain of the film. The net result is that film developed in Dektol will appear to be grainier.

The "actual" Kodak formula for D-76 contains no carbonate, but Kodak's balanced alkali - sodium metaborate, or borax as the accelerators. Soduim sulfite as you mention, can act as a mild accelerator and in high quantities a solvent in fine grain developers with no other alkali needed, but it is most commonly used as a preservative, as is its primary intention in D-76.

Dektol and D-76 may share the same developing agents, but the formulation is quite different, perhaps you are thinking of D-72.

so give me an advice what cemical products (film developer, paper developer and fixer) are best to start with? we dont have so much choice where i live so maybe just focus on the kodak products, and thank you for your help i think i understand a bit more now

d76 film developer, kodak rapid fixer which can be used for both film and paper, just a different ratio.

paper developer, dektol, stop bath

Go to my website and I have an in depth article about my chems and process. On the links page is a link to the Massive Development Chart that compares hundreds of combinations of films and developers to mix and match almost anything you decide to go with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back