Need Some Ideas/Help!!

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife found this little girls hat in a vintage clothing store and wants to build on it for a Dickens Christmas theme for granddaughter. I'm leaning toward a black brocade cape with compatible red dress and white leggings. Or possibility of matching red cape and white dress. Or white cape furry with red dress. Right now we are struggling to settle on something. Any ideas? This would be a full profile portrait.

Front view
2017-11-04_11-10-13 by William Raber, on Flickr

Back view
2017-11-04_11-07-33 by William Raber, on Flickr

Ehhh... could part of the problem be that the hat is 1920s vice 1830s/1840s? I would avoid too much red; especially varying shades of red as it can be a real SOB to light. I would suggest a green dress and a white shawl/cape.

Ehhh... could part of the problem be that the hat is 1920s vice 1830s/1840s? I would avoid too much red; especially varying shades of red as it can be a real SOB to light. I would suggest a green dress and a white shawl/cape.

Yeah I knew the hat would be a stretch for victorian period, maybe advance to more of a Norman Rockwell version? I had wondered about green in the mix. Will look at some color ideas

I love the hat! but I have a thing for hats. But it would be great for holidays/Christmas. This doesn't have to be strictly authentic for a play or anything, so pretend it's late Victorian closer to turn of the century. Maybe not so much Dickens, weren't those kids always street urchins?? lol And little girls probably wore shorter dresses anyway that would have been ankle/calf or tea length. It's your fantasy world so go for it and make it what you want.

I like B&W with red but it could be contrasty I suppose, and I agree the red could be hard to match. Although maybe red shoes or other accents in red not close to the face could work so it's not so noticeable if it doesn't exactly match.

If it wasn't for a picture I'd probably look at a dress with a cabbage rose pattern to bring out the rose buds on the hat, but not sure for a picture, depends on the background. Maybe a black dress and a furry white cape/cloak, or vice versa? a white lacy dress and black brocade cape?

Maybe look up pictures or take a look at sites like Victorian Trading for some ideas.

And a muff!! she needs a white (faux) furry muff.

Or search pictures of vintage Christmas cards. Looks like little girls wore black shoes, tall socks or some sort of stockings (maybe today it could be knit leg warmers), skirt and jacket with a capelet or a shorter cape, and a cute hat.

And they're holding flowers or holly or berries (that may very well have been poisonous and they shouldn't have been holding! lol) - but it's artwork not photos so of course you could go with plastic/artificial. You could probably work in some accents in red and/or rosebuds.

Victorian girl in winter.jpg

Last edited:
And a muff!! she needs a white (faux) furry muff.

I have a feeling the $5 hat is going to cost me a $150 in accessories before my wife is done!! LOL

The black cape was one of our possibilities, but more toward the damask velvet with a floral design.
traditional-upholstery-fabric.jpg

black silk ribbon/trim. Wife will probably make the cape. As to dress we're torn, with red, white, and thanks to John now green and appropriate tights.

For shoes leaning toward ballet flats. Carters has them in a red, white and silver. As I'm shooting for a full profile I don't want to bring in to many colors.

And I should likely give up the man card, going to this much trouble for all the frilly stuff, but when granddaughter says in that little voice "Papa I love you" I pretty much open the wallet to give her anything she wants!!!

FWIW: I don't like that black damask velvet cloth for a cape.

I'm wondering why you don't just return to the thrift shop and pick up whatever is there? IMO, there is bound to be something that would work, and not cost much to boot.

Also; why profile? If I went to all the trouble of shopping for an outfit, I think I would make lots of photographs, at least until my model grew tired of it.

As for the look of authenticity; unless you have MGM's wardrobe department and a huge budget for this project, you're not going to exactly duplicate the period look that is in your mind's eye. As long as you don't completely flub it, getting an approximation is probably going to be as close as you can get within reason.

@Designer While the store signs said vintage clothing when I inquired on kids sizes the clerk said only adults. She was actually surprised that my wife found the hat. However your comment made me think we might find something that could be made over into an appropriate size.

I'm not concerned with authenticity but rather something reminiscent of the look. What was your concern on using the black (Or black & red) damask, or is it a personal feeling?

What was your concern on using the black (Or black & red) damask, or is it a personal feeling?
Looks like something you would see at a funeral. An old-time funeral to be sure, but not likely the type of fabric that would have been used for a child's cape. (My opinion)

I haven't actually shopped for any children's clothing at our local Salvation Army store, but I have seen "dress-up" styles highlighted by displaying them prominently on the endcaps. Things like decorated velvet dresses, for instance.

What was your concern on using the black (Or black & red) damask, or is it a personal feeling?
Looks like something you would see at a funeral. An old-time funeral to be sure, but not likely the type of fabric that would have been used for a child's cape. (My opinion)

I haven't actually shopped for any children's clothing at our local Salvation Army store, but I have seen "dress-up" styles highlighted by displaying them prominently on the endcaps. Things like decorated velvet dresses, for instance.

Valid point on the black, thought on red and black

Powder blue coat/cape.

Do an A-line cape with openings for the arms. White tights and black patent-leather ballet flats. And I agree with Sharon about the white muff.

With the cape on, you wouldn't even see the dress underneath, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Something like this? Redirect Notice

I imagine the knee-length pattern (in powder blue, not yellow) in a light-weight wool.

If the cape can be made instead of bought off the rack, just start browsing patterns.

We've read the comments, and appreciate the help. Thank you one and all. I believe we finally have our outfit using a little bit of everyone's advise. Looks like we'll be able to utilize her dress (with modifications) from last year (it was actually to big on her then). Wife found a cape that will work and ballet flats, everything else she already has. Wife plans on making the muff. Now I can move on to background and lighting.

Most reactions

Back