Need some ideas on 50D and D90 (buying before 20th of the month)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sharfy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am thinking of buying NikonD90 or Canon50D camera, any suggestions and comment on the said items?

Opinions, suggestions and comments are highly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

2. Blake.Oney

Blake.Oney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm glad you posted this topic. First off I'm sorry that I can't add anything, but I'm going to be upgrading soon also and I'm thinking about a move to Canon. I take a lot of sequence shots so I like that the Canon's can shoot continuously longer. It also seems to me that Canon lenses and lenses for Canon camera's are cheaper on the average. I'd like to know what people have to say also as I'm thinking between the d90 or maybe the T2i or 50D.

3. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    got this link and hope it will help

Nikon D90 Compared to Canon EOS 50D and D80, D300

I love both cameras and made a choice to buy D90, but still I want to know more suggestions and ideas on both items. I have been going to shops for months and hold both camera.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You're thinking of buying one of two soon to be discontinued cameras, each near the end of its life...hmmm....

5. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the info Derrel, just now from you I heard this...:( I am planning of d300 but I getting out of budget for it. Any suggestion of a good a camera? I am a newbie (taking pictures with SLR just this year from a Sony230a)

6. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am really in atrouble of making a choice. I will be engaging more on indoor photography soon.

Ideas are really appreciated thanks in advance;)

7. Blake.Oney

Blake.Oney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I'm completely aware of that, but it doesn't make them bad, and I'm not going to have a whole bunch of budget for the brand new ones. I don't know, though. I'll see when the D90 replacement comes how much it is. I won't be upgrading until Feb.

8. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

for me I will buy a new one and just upgrade by end of 2011. I am not really aware because I was just into a hobby and not photography seriously. It is so good I registered in this Photo forum for me to take is into the next level and serious work.

9. zamanakhan

zamanakhan TPF Noob!

i have nikon gear and notice the same thing, altho i keep hearing that nikon glass is optically superior to canon's. Even if that is true i dont think it would be a major difference. Also both of those cameras are on the way out, wait a lil while and u can get somethin much better. Possibly the next d5000 d51000, d90 and d5000 were very similar in fact they share the same sensor. I have the d5000 and initially i kept mopin around how i should of gotten the d90 but when i started actually seeing past its few shortcomings and actually got out with it i realized the d5000 was a smarter move than the d90 and it saves me money that i can spend on lenses, you'll notice that lens prices havent changed much even tho new camera's are coming out. I recommend u get the next d5000 or if u really want to choose now the current d5000 over the d90. For shooting indoors ur lens choice is more important, with what u save u can buy a f1.8 lens and a flash. I recommend buying refurb, i've purchased a refrub lens are quality from nikon refurb is practically the same as new and u still get warranty.

d5000 refurb here for $484
    25452B Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.
    35 f1.8 lens 200+ sb 600 200
    total spent $884, if u go sb 400 u spend $780ish
    refurb body only d90 $780
    25446B Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

with the d90 the extra's ur getting are better lcd and top lcd, faster flash sync built in af motor, and the ability to be a master flash.

if this is ur first camera and u want to buy now i strongly recommend the d5000, pretty soon the body will be worth very little with the new cameras on the way so spend ur money on lenses and flash!!! the 35 1.8 is an awesome lens i barely take out the kit lens or the 55-200.

10. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

A big thanks for that! I still have a week to think all of this and the incoming opinions and ideas.

11. Blake.Oney

Blake.Oney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely thanks. I do want to stick with Nikon. I love my camera, I know the controls and I have lenses for the brand. I think I may go for the D5000. The only thing that's kind of sticking me up on the D90 is that I keep hearing that Nikon is looking to phase out auto focus bodies like Canon. But I hear they are doing it because in lens AF is better than in body. So I'm not really sure what I'll do. The D5000 seems like the smarter choice to me because I mostly shoot portraits for money, so I don't need a giant collection of lenses. If that were the case I'd definitely go with the D90, but ahhh we'll see when the time comes and the money is in my hand.

12. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I am really having a good time reading all of the replies ;).... Thank's blake for you comments.