Need some imput on a competition photo.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by joshualt, Apr 14, 2009.

1. joshualt

joshualt TPF Noob!

This is a photo I took last night for a competition. The comp. is for a photo of the mountain in the right side. I'm almost happy with it but feel like it needs a touch of something. Any input?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Wow, wild colors. Really, really wild colors! That's the first thing I notice, and it's really overpowering. If you intended to have colors that crazy, then awesome. If not... you may have a problem.

The mountain on the right almost disappears in this photo -- it's relaly about the river, trees, and sky as far as I can tell. Does the mountain really need to be prominent?

3. jdwyer

jdwyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The reflection off the river is great and the foreground colors very vivid. The rest of the photo looks a bit purple to me. The skyline just above the mountains is washed out and could use some color. It almost makes it look like you stitched the sky together with the landscape but didnt line it up perfectly.

4. Moon Baby

Moon Baby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The color temperature comes off too cold and unnatural. I see some dark haloing around the edges of the background as well. It's a nice landscape photo but it seems too over processed for my taste. I also don't see where the reflection is getting its main light source from. It just seems to come out of nowhere!

5. joshualt

joshualt TPF Noob!

Thanks guys, I know the sky looks like I placed it in there but its all natural. I didn't place anything there that wasn't there. The colors are really bright here but I agree they might need toned down. As for the reflection I think I lost some of the sun coming over the mountain. Thanks for the input, Ill play with it some more, maybe kick it down a notch.

6. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm gonna have to say that's it's way too overprocessed for my taste. And it definately looks like that sky was stitched in, or just processed to death. Do you have the orignal capture to post? I would suggest toning it down a bit. Unless the comp is wih the sort of people that are into that sorta thing.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would also ask that picture CC posts be placed in the proper section of the forum next time, please. This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls.

Thanks for your understanding. :)

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...or three. :lol::lol::lol:

Jon

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The only thing I don't like is the very apparent halo effect on the mountain as a result of the tonemapping with a very small smoothing radius. The rest of the image looks fine, although it feels cold.

10. Kenny32

Kenny32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Idk...I think the reflection on the water is a bit distracting. That's the first thing I see when I look at the picture...I guess it just doesn't look "natural" to me...yet, nothing in this image really looks "natural"...Kind of reminds me of that scene in Willy Wonka (the original) when he brings them into the big room with the chocolate river...

11. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    For starters, the river looks like yogurt :lol:

You really need to tone that down or convert to B&W and add a bit of contrast. I think it's actually stronger as a monochrome:

[​IMG]

Also, there's a crapload of sensor dust in the clouds.

12. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont like either I guess. The color one is way to overprocessed and the black and white doesnt have enought impact/interest.