Need some opinions for funnyface storyboard

Ajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EDIT** Ok, now that you've all chimed in that you prefer the color version, (thank you for all of the advice!) how about the background? Black or white? I had intended to do it in white originally but now I'm kind of liking the contrast with the black.

White:

storybookweb.jpg

Black

storybookblackweb.jpg

I'm making a small storyboard as a gift for my sister-in-law of her daughter having fun blowing bubbles. I can't decide whether I want to do it in color of black and white. I plan on using a white background.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as high-key processing, but please, if you don't like high-key I don't need to know that. If you think I can improve the look of the black and white one please let me know though.

No blur was added - just had a pretty shallow DOF. Here is one of the images I'm thinking about using.

So....color?

DSC_0109co.jpg

or black and white?

DSC_0109.jpg

Thanks for the input! :)

I'm not sure if this qualifies as high-key processing, but...

High key refers to content... not processing. And, yes... this is a high key portrait... a REALLY fun one! It makes me smile.

I have a strong preference to the color version. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's so warm.

Did you think about taking the blue out of the catch lights?

-Pete

I have a strong preference to the color version. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's so warm.

Did you think about taking the blue out of the catch lights?

-Pete

Thanks for the input Pete! I hadn't thought about taking the blue out but now that you pointed it out I think I definitely will. Thanks for catching that!

I like it in color but this particular black and white conversion seems not flattering. What methos do you use to convert to black and white?

I like it in color but this particular black and white conversion seems not flattering. What methos do you use to convert to black and white?

I agree with you there. I used channel mixer for this and some slight curves adjustments but something about it just doesn't look right.

Ok, tried it again. Does this look any better?

After
DSC_0109_2.jpg

Before
DSC_0109.jpg

Don't like either of the B&W variations. I think it's because of the lack of pupil/iris gives almost an alien look ... whereas it is naturally overlooked in the color version. Love the expression!

Don't like either of the B&W variations. I think it's because of the lack of pupil/iris gives almost an alien look ... whereas it is naturally overlooked in the color version. Love the expression!

I see what you mean. I have such a hard time with her eyes - they are so naturally dark. Thanks for the input!

Don't like either of the B&W variations. I think it's because of the lack of pupil/iris gives almost an alien look

There is also a touch of blending into the background (on the B&W) where the light source has reflected from the child face, at the left hand side. Which may lead our eyes away from the main focus.

I do prefer the colour images, however, have you used a high pass filter or something similar? I am of the opinion that portraits of children should look as natural as possible. There is something un-humanising about polished child portraits. IMHO!

<edit> Oh and the before B&W conversion is nicer.. for the same above reason

I do prefer the colour images, however, have you used a high pass filter or something similar? I am of the opinion that portraits of children should look as natural as possible. There is something un-humanising about polished child portraits. IMHO!

No, no high pass filter or anything. I did a very, very slight Gaussian blur and then erased her eyes and mouth back in. Can you tell me a little more how you think it looks too polished?

Bump with a new question in the first post! ^^^

Thanks again for all of your input!

Thanks for the input Pete!

I think I am going to go with the white in a black frame. I was considering matting it but then I think I'd get in to spending a little too much money. I can't wait to give this to her parents. I've got another shoot with her this afternoon. So excited!

Most reactions

Back