Need some opinions on lenses..

mumureo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I posted awhile back on whether I should get a T2i or D5000, and so I decided to get the T2i :D .. When I get the camera I'll probably take portraits, landscape/architecture, night, and macro pictures..

Anyways, I was searching around for some lenses to take on my trip to Japan in October and I was thinking of getting the 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8, and the Opteka HD2 0.20X fish eye attachment.. But my friend who is into photography suggested for me to get the 'Sigma CA17-70OS 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM' and if I did get this lens I would probably also buy the 50mm 1.8 lens too. I'm still a total noob at photography and I was wondering if this lens would be a better choice to take rather than the lenses I originally wanted to take. Also (this is probably a dumb question but just to make sure..) if I do get the 50mm lens I cannot put the fish eye attachment on it yeah? And would buying the 50mm be a waste of time and money bringing it on my trip? And one last question .. has anyone bought anything from Crispdeals.com or Newegg.com? I'm probably gonna get the T2i body from one of them.

I do all of my computer related shopping on New Egg. Excellent site, fast shipping.

I bought my 50mm 1.8 from them too, on sale cheaper than I'd seen it anywhere else.

Slow down! :D

Other than the Canon 50mm 1.8 I don't know the details of those particular lenses, but it does sound like your moving a bit fast. By your own admission you are still a noob (don't worry, me too!) so I would stick with one mid-range zoom which covers at least the 24-50mm range, such as the kit lens (it's not that bad, and it's a bargain price), the Sigma your friend mentioned, or one from the list here:

Canon General Purpose Lens Recommendations

Otherwise, your trip is likely to consist of lugging around a heavy bag and stopping every 10 minutes to change lenses.

Are you really able to get the t2i body only, and the 18-55mm separately cheaper than just buying a kit? If you found you needed a lens when you were in Japan, I'm sure they sell them there anyway ;)

Ahh haha sorry :p
Ohhh, yeah I think I will probably get the Sigma lens because I think it does pretty much everything I want to do in photography~ And ahh haha.. Did you have bad experiences with carrying around 2 or more lenses while on a trip D: ?

Mmm, haha probably not.. just my friend said its a waste of money if I get it but then.. if I do.. I can use the fish eye attachment!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back