Need some Photoshop (or LR) help with an image

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Jon_Are, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    See the smudgy shadow cast on the wall and ceiling on the left side of this image? I'd like it to Be Gone.

I didn't even notice it until I printed the image, where it looks as if someone with a dirty thumb handled the photo.

I though the clone stamp would do the job, but the ceiling colors are too variable and I cannot get it to look right.

I've also tried dodging (or is it burning? :)) with no luck.

If someone would care to have a go at it, feel free, but please let me know exactly what ya did.

Thanks!

Jon

[​IMG]

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Dodging lightens, burning darkens.

Open your image. with CS4 select the Dodge tool, then click Layer > New > Layer. In the dialog box set the Mode to 'Soft Light' and check the box for 'fill with 50% gray' on the layer. Click the dialog box OK button. In the layers pallet you now have a 'Layer 1' and it is 50% gray. As you dodge you'll see the dodged area get lighter on the layers thumbnail.

Go to the tool option ribbon and set the Range to 'Midtones' and the Exposure to 25-50%. Use a soft edged brush and zoom in to see what you're accomplishing. You may need to make a second or third 'New Layer' with 50% gray fill to build up the effect.

Hope that helps.

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I gave it a try several ways. I could do only a fair job by dodging the area. My usual method of dodging is to use an Adjustment Layer, usually Curves, and paint on the Layer Mask. Its more adjustable and editable than using the Dodging tool.

What worked the best was the Clone tool set to a rather soft edge and a rather light percentage (5-15%). I usually do this on a new layer with "Use all layers" checked or in CS4 "this layer and below" selected. You can "undo" mistakes by simply Erasing.

The halo left over from the HDR is part of the problem. There is not only a light halo present. There is also a hue shift. Large portions of the ceiling are a different hue that the ceiling's edge where there is a halo along the seam with the wall and toward the window end of the ceiling. This forces you to do some significant subtle blending to avoid leaving traces of your work.

4. lvcrtrs

lvcrtrs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just used the Clone Stamp at 100%, then lowered it to muck around with those variations. PS done on the laptop, the monitor is not that hot for viewing images but accessible at the moment.

[​IMG]

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks to everybody, I really appreciate it. I will try each piece of advice.

As mentioned, this is an HDR. Does anyone know a Photomatix setting to tweak that might have avoided this problem in the first place?

Jon