julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys......

Ok so picture this. Larry King's studio, its dark, very dark--except for the spot lights on Larry King and each of his guests' heads. I'm at an angle where I need to get Larry (foreground) and 2 guests (background) all in focus and I can't use a flash in there. I struggled with this. This event was a last minute thing and I was at the right place at the right time....

So I guess what I"m asking is....can you explain to me the best settings and why you think they'd work? I'm about a foot away from Larry and about 5 ft away from the guests....

I'm on a canon 5d...shooting in Av mode.
Any suggestions would be great so I can learn.
thank you!
julie

I'm a newb here to so my suggestion may not be worth much.

I would go with the Av mode like you said and on my camera, get a an aperture size of 8 to 11 or so. That might make the shutter speed pretty long though but with the lights on them, it should be ok, but if not, open the aperture up a stop or two until you have a comfortable shutter speed.

Easy obtain a Nikon D3, haha.
Ok lets see a nice fast prime lense will work such as 1.4. Monopod, high ISO with decent shutter speed. Spot meter it also. Custom WB the lights. Your results should be decent.

look at dofmaster.com and use the on-line DOF calculator to see how you get a sufficient DOF when you're so close.

Lew

Most reactions

Back