Need suggestions on 3 prime lenses

I love it! Great info and sample guys. This is exactly what I was looking for, suggestions and recommendations. I'm gonna look into that Tamron lens for sure.

*Edit: I'm seeing 2 versions of this 17-50 Tamron lens, XR Di II and the XR Di II VR, which one are you guys talking about?

Last edited:
I think you mean VC. It stands for Vibration Compensation...it's their version of Nikon's VR and Canon's IS.

The VC version is quite new, I don't know anyone who owns it yet. If it's not too much more expensive, I'd got for it.

*edit*
It's $176 more than the non VC version. (VC version currently has a $25 rebate at B&H)
That's pretty tempting, but you are getting closer to the price of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, which is an absolutely suburb lens.

Last edited:
I agree.. with the 35mm being an under performer. I am actually quite surprised that it still exists in the current lineup. IIRC, it was once the "kit" before zooms were generally accepted in the market. (lenses I've gravitated towards on EOS: 24L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 135mm f/2L)

On a different system (1.3x crop), I would think in terms of pairs instead. For me, I found composition decisions to be a lot faster when I'm consider "this one or that one" rather than a choice of three. In general, I choose between these two:
*) 24mm and 50mm
*) 35mm and 75mm (on occasion a 90mm).

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 paired with the 50mm f/1.4 and save the rest of the cash. Shoot for a while and see where you feel a third lens might suit you best; longer (85mm f/1.8, 100m f/2.8 macro) or shorter (24mmL)

Dang it! Now I got more options! :meh: Thats good though! Now I'm begining to norrow down the choices I really need instead of a long list if lenses. Ill definetly be doing some reading and reasearch on your guys suggestions.

Will the Tamron 17-50 lens XR Di II produce a similar bokeh of the 50mm 1.4.? Thats what im wondering?

I'm really set on the 50mm for sure
Good choice.

but I might be flipping a coin on the 35mm or 85mm. I might have to search for more samples of the 85mm and some of the 35mm and compare what I want to achieve.

85mm wins for me. I prefer long instead of wide though, personal preference.

I like to get close - head shots and the like. Not sure what I would do with a wide lens...

...Though, I do need one. 50mm is the widest I have.

The Tamron Bokeh ... This may not be a good example..

3592499317_2e74b8f618_b.jpg

But I really like the Bokeh from the 85mm F/1.8

4170955604_b40d4f5e24.jpg

Im new to this stuff, so i just figured that my T1i has a cropped sensor. Would it be wise to go with a lower mm lens to get closer to the 50mm lens. In other words, to compensate for not being a full frame? Or just stick with getting the 50mm? Or any other prime lens for that matter?

Sorry about all these questions, i just want to be informed on whats my best choices. thanks again! :thumbup:

What lenses do you have now, and what do you like/not like about them?

Standard kits that are in my signature, 55-250mm and 18-55mm. I want the sharpness of the prime lens and the bokeh effect they give. At its widest point, my 18-55mm lens will only allow a 3.5 apeture. It really doesnt give me the effect i see alot and want.

My 55-250mm is nice for when i go take action pictures, i can follow the action from a distance and be prepared for it when it passes me by. But other than that, i find this lens to be useful for landscapes only, and i think thats boring!

Were you planing on buying all of them, or just one or two?

The 50 & the 85 are must have lenses, IMO.

Not having zoom isn't that bad. You get used to it fast.

Primes are generally faster, better & cheaper than the zooms that it would take to cover the same range.

Walking isn't as hard as it sounds.

Yeah, im leaning towards these 2 primes, 50 and 85. Im just checking out how more or less i will see out of these lenses by doing the math for a cropped sensor. At 1.6x, that 50mm will be like an 80mm on my cam, and the 85mm wil be like a 136mm. At those distances, looks like im gonna be shouting at my subjects to pose a certain form! :confused::raisedbrow:

Most reactions

Back