Need Suggestions: Photographically Cool Places in the US

Go upt the Coast from LA to Seattle. Cities, oceans, mountains, forests to keep you photographing for a lifetime.

Go upt the Coast from LA to Seattle. Cities, oceans, mountains, forests to keep you photographing for a lifetime.

That sounds like a fun trip. We recently purchased a Toyota Yaris Liftback, that is rated at 36mpg, but I can baby it and break 50.

Keith,

You mentioned Vegas in your original post. I live in Vegas and there are quite a few interesting things to photograph close by.

Of course, there's the strip and Fremont Street if you want photos of buildings. Lake Mead Rec. Area has some nice views as does Overton. There used to be a great little store in Glendale (just up the road about 50 miles from Vegas) that has a u-shaped counter that I've always wanted to go back and shoot, though I'm not sure if they are still open.

There's Valley of Fire (about 45 minutes north) and Red Rock (just outside the city limits to the West). Mojave National Monument (not sure if that's the right name) just to the West about 2 hours (desert vistas, sand dunes, old buildings.) A trip down I-15 to Barstow yields some great abondoned buildings on both sides of the roads and then there's Death Valley about 3 hours away. Towards the north, you will get to St. George, Utah, and many places. Coral Sand Dunes, Snow Canyon, Zion NP and Cedar Breaks (at 10,000 ft, it gets cold up there!)

The one thing I would mention is that until October, most of these areas are just too dang hot to visit.

Good luck on your trip!

Jerry

I would head towards the North Rim of the GC, not only do you have that wonderful view you have Bryce, Zion, Glen Canyon, Lake Powell, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Arches and a couple of other parks all well within striking distance.

We decided to go to Myrtle Beach during the beginning of August for a beach vacation. All of the canyon options sound exciting, but we'll probably wait for a cooler time.

what about Canada?

I live in Florida and would suggest your 9 states in 9 days plan to include The Florida Keys, Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center), Daytona Beach, Clearwater Beach, Panama City or Pensacola, then maybe work your way towards Mississippi and New Orleans.

Personally, I am praying I can do what you are planning so I can hit Arches National Park in Utah and then hit some spots in Alaska being I am a bald eagle fanatic.

Good luck with whatever you choose and please keep us posted and post a gallery of your trip :) Have fun!

Yeah the Florida keys are nice. I went there to see family a few months ago, and made the trip you described basically - from MO to Daytona Beach (only stopped at the track) down I95 to Ft Lauderdale, then to Keys, then up and around to New Orleans. It was a family trip, and I didn't take as many pictures as I would have preferred. Would love to do it again.

Well, my trip is now over :). My wife and I went to Gatlinburg, TN and then to Myrtle Beach, SC. We decided that instead of taking a 9-states hardcore lots-of-driving vacation to get cool photos, we just went to relax. Seems as though I never take enough "artsy" photos. We just had a great time being together and away, and ended up with a few hundred snapshots of us at different places. (my 10-20 lens is AMAZING for that!) Forget asking strangers "Here, can you take our picture?"

We'll still do the 9-states deal, but probably in the fall, when the 9 states in the southwest aren't as hot!

I'm at work now, but will post pictures from our trip as soon as I can.

Yeah the Florida keys are nice. I went there to see family a few months ago, and made the trip you described basically - from MO to Daytona Beach (only stopped at the track) down I95 to Ft Lauderdale, then to Keys, then up and around to New Orleans. It was a family trip, and I didn't take as many pictures as I would have preferred. Would love to do it again.

Well, my trip is now over :). My wife and I went to Gatlinburg, TN and then to Myrtle Beach, SC. We decided that instead of taking a 9-states hardcore lots-of-driving vacation to get cool photos, we just went to relax. Seems as though I never take enough "artsy" photos. We just had a great time being together and away, and ended up with a few hundred snapshots of us at different places. (my 10-20 lens is AMAZING for that!) Forget asking strangers "Here, can you take our picture?"

We'll still do the 9-states deal, but probably in the fall, when the 9 states in the southwest aren't as hot!

I'm at work now, but will post pictures from our trip as soon as I can.

Keith,
I take all of the pictures of my wife when we go on vacation and I'm in none of them. I guess this is the norm for most of us. However, in my camera bag I carry my Sony p&s and sometimes I'll ask a passerby to take our picture with that (of course my Nikon stays in my hand or right next to me). Just a thought in case you want to be in the pictures and not risk your "real" equipment ;)
Oh and by the way, if you ever make it to the French Quarter in New Orleans, I am sure there are some awesome night shots to be had in the "urban setting".

Keith,
I take all of the pictures of my wife when we go on vacation and I'm in none of them. I guess this is the norm for most of us. However, in my camera bag I carry my Sony p&s and sometimes I'll ask a passerby to take our picture with that (of course my Nikon stays in my hand or right next to me). Just a thought in case you want to be in the pictures and not risk your "real" equipment ;)
Oh and by the way, if you ever make it to the French Quarter in New Orleans, I am sure there are some awesome night shots to be had in the "urban setting".

Same here. I bought a Kodak P&S from woot.com for 79 bucks, and that's our snaphsot camera for giving to strangers. What I was saying about the Sigma 10-20 is that I can hold it at arms length and capture my wife and I (real small in the pic) with plenty of the surroundings around us...so it's rare to have to ask a stranger to take a pic.

When I was in New Orleans, I took this picture, which is on a 16x20 ready to be hung in my living room. It was surprisingly right off of Bourbon Street, behind all the nonsense. I really enjoy taking interest in the secondary settings, which are usually unnoticed.
269663139_G3oec-M.jpg

Nice capture! I can't wait to go there myself to check out the strip and get some real urban shots. You definitely got it in this shot though (even though the back wall is blown out a bit). :) Keep posting, I like your style.

We decided to go to Myrtle Beach during the beginning of August for a beach vacation. All of the canyon options sound exciting, but we'll probably wait for a cooler time.
Dont wait for too much cooler of a time of year. It gets very cold at most of the Four Corner places. We can go to the negative temps at night and, not much warmer during the day at times. Then there is the winds, they will cut straight through you. Just a warning.

Nice capture! I can't wait to go there myself to check out the strip and get some real urban shots. You definitely got it in this shot though (even though the back wall is blown out a bit). :) Keep posting, I like your style.

blown out...heh.

The print turned out exactly like I wanted it. Extreme contrast from the lady walking away from the darkness into the light.

Dont wait for too much cooler of a time of year. It gets very cold at most of the Four Corner places. We can go to the negative temps at night and, not much warmer during the day at times. Then there is the winds, they will cut straight through you. Just a warning.

Hey that's real good to know. I'll tell my wife we need to re-pack and go right away! Can't wait to see some of this. Thanks for the tip.

A short stay in Philadelphia would provide many great photo op's as well as a look at some great history.. I am lucky enough to live with in 20-30 mins of such a special city... Then head north to New York City were once again many op's are to be had....

Most reactions

Back