Need suggestions....

Traveler777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been into photography for 10-15 years but now I am really sinking my teeth into it so to speak. My question is concerning Telephoto type lens. I am looking for a decent 2X lens for my camera. I need it in 52mm size. I shoot outdoors 90% of the time. I shoot landscapes, but also close ups of various subjects. First of all, with all the cheap stuff on the market, finding a decent lens is difficult so any suggestions??? I don`t want to refinance my home but I don`t expect a 20 dollar lens to be worth anything. So Im looking to spend around a hundred bucks or so. Should I expect to find anything in this price range?? If not, ...suggestions....

I have been into photography for 10-15 years but now I am really sinking my teeth into it so to speak. My question is concerning Telephoto type lens. I am looking for a decent 2X lens for my camera. I need it in 52mm size. I shoot outdoors 90% of the time. I shoot landscapes, but also close ups of various subjects. First of all, with all the cheap stuff on the market, finding a decent lens is difficult so any suggestions??? I don`t want to refinance my home but I don`t expect a 20 dollar lens to be worth anything. So Im looking to spend around a hundred bucks or so. Should I expect to find anything in this price range?? If not, ...suggestions....

It might help to tell us what camera you're using! ;)
Nikon d3100

Please! No! Don't get those screw-on telephoto 'lenses' that are all over ebay!

No!

Don't do it!

You'll be wasting your money. You'll end up with a glass paperweight / doorstop / meat tenderizer. The joy of the low price will last just long enough for you to see the results on your monitor.

Save your money and buy a real lens.

52mm filter threads, you say. Hmmmm. Methinks you have a prime lens maybe? Like a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D?

Why not a good Kenko teleconverter?

No!

Don't do it!

You'll be wasting your money. You'll end up with a glass paperweight / doorstop / meat tenderizer. The joy of the low price will last just long enough for you to see the results on your monitor.

Uhhh, I thought I was clear on this. Im definitely NOT gonna buy a 25 dollar 2X lens. I was asking for suggestions on better lens. My problem is that when searching, the internet is jam packed with those cheap ones. I just want a few suggestions. Maybe a name brand, or the exact product, if you have experience. I have great glass already and love the camera Ive used for a year now but when it comes to specialty type lens`, I have no experience, therefore I asked for suggestions. Ive taken thousands of photos with a variety of cameras, some cheap, some expensive. I have used all sorts of photo shop type programs, for better or worse. I have experience with a vast range of glass, from up close and personal to waaayyyy out there, but not this 2X lens and its difficult to research. Everytime I type the words, all i get is a list of Amazon products. So if you know of a great 2X lens that will produce crystal clear photos with no tunnel vision, edge shadowing, or blur, please let me know

52mm filter threads, you say. Hmmmm. Methinks you have a prime lens maybe? Like a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D?

Why not a good Kenko teleconverter?
Well if I may ask this, however dumb it may be,...But, when selecting this 2X lens, is there a difference in type for, lets say, 18-55mm and like a 55-200mm lens or does it work the same on any lens??....Now what I mean when I say, "the same", is does the lens produce the same clarity if used with a good solid lens regardless of the power?.. or is there a different type for lower/higher powered lens`?

Have you looked at the used departments at B&H, Adorama or KEH? All three are reputable dealers.

Well, I have yet to hear of a screw-in 'tele' lens that's worth anything.

As for putting anything on a kit lens, even a good-quality teleconverter is going to kill the image. And you'll most likely lose auto-focus.

In order to get proper sharpness, and resolution no screw on lens is going to cut it no matter how expensive it is or how good the manufacturer claims it is. One issue that plagues the Nikon entry level bodies (D3xxx/D5xxx is the fact that you have to use what Nikon calls AF-S lenses which have the auto focus motor built in to the lens as these cameras do not have a focus motor built in to the camera body like the higher end units. This unfortunately limits your lens availability as you are not able to use the older AF type lenses which use a screw type auto focus.

However there are a couple of options depending on how much telephoto you want. The 55-200 4-5.6 VR is a terrific little lens that is small and light weight. They sell for $249 new, and can be had used for around $125 in excellent condition. If you want a little more reach Nikon also makes a slightly higher grade 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR lens which is quite good, but is nearly $600 new, and around $350 used. Tamron also makes a 70-300 4-5.6 VC (Tamron's version of VR) that is in my opinion a slightly better lens optically for $450 new, and around $275-300 used.

Reactions: Ido
I think we should find out what lens(es) the OP has to begin with.

No!

Don't do it!

Uhhh, I thought I was clear on this. Im definitely NOT gonna buy a 25 dollar 2X lens. I was asking for suggestions on better lens. My problem is that when searching, the internet is jam packed with those cheap ones. I just want a few suggestions. Maybe a name brand, or the exact product, if you have experience. I have great glass already and love the camera Ive used for a year now but when it comes to specialty type lens`, I have no experience, therefore I asked for suggestions. Ive taken thousands of photos with a variety of cameras, some cheap, some expensive. I have used all sorts of photo shop type programs, for better or worse. I have experience with a vast range of glass, from up close and personal to waaayyyy out there, but not this 2X lens and its difficult to research. Everytime I type the words, all i get is a list of Amazon products. So if you know of a great 2X lens that will produce crystal clear photos with no tunnel vision, edge shadowing, or blur, please let me know

No its not clear that you don't want a cheep screw on lens attachment. Even in your reply here you keep talking about wanting a 2x lens. All 2x lenses are going to be cheep screw on lenses.

I think most of your searching issues is because you are searching for a 2x lens. The term 2x means that it is magnifying your existing lens 2 times thats why all your search results come back with cheep screw on lenses. A 2x lens is going to require an existing lens to attach to.

A real telephoto lens is NOT going to me listed as a 2x lens, it is going to be listed by the focal lens that the lens is designed to have. A 70-200mm or a 300mm are examples of what a telephoto lens might be called.

If you want a lens that has 2x the reach of your current lens and you currently have a 50mm lens then you would want to search for a 100mm lens, or you could also look for a lens that has a variable focal length like a 70-200mm lens.

Most reactions

Back