Need the black and white on B&W film.

Spatchboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I live in upstate New York, but work in New York C
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's been quite a few years since high school and my photography class. Alot of things have REALLY changed. I'm just getting back int my photography hobby and my own darkroom is a ways down the road. I've been told that some of the black and white films out there can't be processed by your one hour photo-mats, and quite frankly, I haven't a clue as to which would be the best for me to start out working with, being that Wal-mart photo is basicly my only option right now. Can somebody please help get me back up to speed? Thanks.

Kodak makes a C41 monochrome film. I don't like it because it's inconsistent, but if you don't have any D76 labs or your own darkroom, than I don't see much of a choice.

And I also believe that many of the one-hour labs (Sprawl-mart, Walgreen's, etc) can send film out to be processed in a real darkroom that handles black and white film.

Kodak makes a C41 monochrome film. I don't like it because it's inconsistent, but if you don't have any D76 labs or your own darkroom, than I don't see much of a choice.

Here's one option... develop your own negatives - no darkroom required! - and then send off the ones you want printed.

Exactly. Processing regular B&W film hasn't changed at all and it is still inexpensive and quite enjoyable. You only need a lighttight space to get the film onto the reels, then into the tank you can process standing at the kitchen sink, if you want. You can view your negatives and choose what you'd like to enlarge.

Send it off, or go hybrid: scan your negatives and print what you'd like at home (if you have the right equipment - these days, quality darkroom equipment is dirt cheap if you have the space for it). ;) You have options!

Have fun.

Yeah, as stated above... C-41 is probably the only way to go if you absolutely can't process your own film. Kodak and Ilford both make a C-41 process BW film, and I think there's another.

OTOH, if you have space... and it doesn't take much... setting up a darkroom is a wonderful way to go. Mine was a 4 X 5 foot closet, and I had it up and running for about $150. Could have gone as low as $100 if I'd been a bit more frugal. Before that, about $25 invested in a tank, reels, and liquid developer and fixer concentrate, and I did my own negatives for scanning.

It was cramped, though, I'll definitely say that, and I won't work without good ventilation again.

There is a place called San Miguel Photo labs (search online) where you can mail your B&W film. They also offer several proofing options. You can process your own with minimal equipment, but proofing and making prints is another story.
Kodak and Ilford both make good black and white films. Maybe pick one fast (400, etc) and one slow (100,etc) and work with them for a while.
Welcome back to the world of traditional photography.

Freestyle is now offerning black and white processing and printing.

You need to be sure you find a lab that is using the proper process to get correct tones. I.E. most labs are running the film with their color lines, using color paper and chemistry which gives the prints a strange color cast.

Wal-mart photo is basicly my only option right now. Thanks.

WAL-MART (aka the great satan), is NEVER your only option. Get a JOBO processing tank off of EBAY, and do it at home. You don't need a darkroom.

If you can wait a day or two, I have a crappy video camera, and I'll youtube a little instructional video for ya'.

P.S. since money is always important, don't despair, the whole developing tank and chemicals will pay for themselves quick, they are like 60 bucks combined.

Most reactions

Back