1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Need tips for evening marching band photos?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tomboymama, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Tomboymama

Tomboymama TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,

I have not used an SLR for about 6 years, so I am a bit out of the loop. I finally am getting a D-SLR and want to take pictures of my daughter in her high school marching band this weekend. I will be learning a new camera (Nikon D40 with kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200) and trying to figure out how to shoot evening shots as well. The football field is lit at night, but I am sure not enough to get super shots. I know I will need a high ISO, but also don't want it too grainy. Do I need a tripod? I used to use a 75-200 lens on my film camera and rarely used a tripod, but from what I am reading, I most likely will have less success at that with the digital? Any tips for focal length, aperature/shutter speed to get some decent shots? I am not expecting greatness the first time out, but want to get off on the right foot and learn more from there. Any help appreciated. Thanks again. This seems like a great forum.

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    my suggestion would be to get as close to the sidelines as possible, so you can use your lens at a closer focal length with wide open aperture. Those lenses have a smaller aperture as you move the focal length out. The more open your aperture is the better success you will have. Other than that I would suggest a faster lens...but I'm not going ot go shopping for you...you have your own budget.