need to be school'd

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Greg Oden, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Greg Oden

Greg Oden TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    im a noob. would you recommend me be taught about photography throuh school (community or state college)or a local photo shop class. im tryin to learn but dont know where to go besides here.

2. GeorgeUK

GeorgeUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The internet is a superb resource, lots of tutorials (written and videos) out there which can teach you most aspects imo. Google search = win.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    *plugs the mentor list*
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125099

might be one is willing to give you a guided hand.
    After that I was very much in your shoes around this time last year - the internet and forums though have taught me a lot! Firstly you need to post your shots on sites to get feedback from "those in the know". Post a few shots only (say 5 at most) and post with them what camear you used, what settings (aperture, ISO and shutter speed - which you can get from the photos properties just rightclick on the photo - go to propertise - additional info tab - and scroll down to find them)
    Also post other details with the shot, like taken on a tripod, or very windy day etc...

This means people can give you good feedback as they know what kit you were using, what the shooting conditions were and how you thought about taking the shot (Based on the settings - even if its in an auto mode this tells about your thinking).

I also (well I have to updated badly now) started a blog where I would post this stuff as well and go through what I did - this helps to force you to look at your photos andpost the settings data and also to have a critical eye to your work.

Also don't just post on a single froum - post on a few and if you have a special area of interst (like sports or wildlife) then get onto a forum that is dedicated to that kind of photography -- this gives you a wide selection of people to get feedback from.