Need to buy a $600 camera and make moeny

Status
Not open for further replies.

wild4alaska

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going to spend 1000 on a camera I need to know if i should buy new or used. I also need to know what I can shoot with a cheaper dslr and how I go about this whole freelance thing I want to do landscape photography and sell it eventually. Photograph the Northern Lights when I get a Mark3 But until then I need to create some revenue and fast I live in anchorage Ak and there are alot of business events during the winter, I just need to know some idea. If anyone could be my mentor and help my I would be so thankful for that. My ideal mentor should already be making money with his camera.

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but do you have any knowledge of photography?

i think you need to smoke a fatty and relax, get a job if you want to make money that quick, not a camera.

one does not simply make moeny.

Landscape and Nature/Wildlife photography is a tough sell, even for solidly established, well known, professional landscape photographers.

The vast majority of photos that sell have people in them, and are bought by the people in the photos.

Be that as it may, successful business ventures start with a well researched and written business and marketing plan.
Who will you market your landscape images too? How will you market your work? Will you sell digital files? If you sell digital files, how do you control the quality of any prints made from the digital file?
Prints? If prints, on what substrate? Chromogenic paper, fine art inkjet paper, metal, acrylic, Masonite? Framed?
Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov

You mentioned living off the grid in your welcome.
How will you contact potential buyers, be they individuals or businesses?
You will need to edit the images you make to prepare them for sale.

Last edited:
if you pay me to travel to alaska, i will mentor you for a week. PM for rates.

Why do you feel photography is your ticket to quick wealth? Why not carpentry, dog-grooming, or dentistry? As many have come before you have learned, there's a LOT more to photography than picking up a camera and making money. While it might not appear so to the uninitiated, there is a LOT of skill and knowledge that go into making an image that people will pay money for. Then of course, there's the whole business side of things which Keith has already mentioned. How about stopping for a minute, catching your breath, and giving us some detail on your background, skill-level, etc?

If you spend $1000 on a $600 camera, you've already lost $400.

What you need to do is work out how to buy a $1000 camera for $600, then turn around and sell that same camera for $800.

What you need to do is work out how to buy a $1000 camera for $600, then turn around and sell that same camera for $800.

And there you have it.

And then figure out how to repeat that feat 5x to 10 x a month.

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum! You mentioned wanting a mentor, TPF has a mentoring program that you may want to check into.

Lots of comments here by those who understand that, practically speaking, it takes a lot of work and know-how to make money from photography! You do live in an exceptionally beautiful part of the world, and I don't doubt that there are lots of events that you could shoot. But you would do yourself a favor by slowing down, working at any job to pay the bills while you study photography and save up for a camera that will suit your needs.

It's not an impossible goal you have set for yourself, but it is one that requires lots of patience, time, know-how and money. :) Be willing to given yourself a long learning curve and simply begin at the beginning. Be patient!

I...... I....... Just don't know how to start replying to this. OP, if you don't already love photography, have significant skill in creating technically accurate images that show creativity and artistry... Go somewhere else. You don't pick up a camera with the sole intention of using it to make money. The very idea of that is insulting to me and all the other people who have slaved away, spending thousands of hours on mastering their craft.

On a more practical level, if you don't put in the work to be fully proficient, or cheat the system by having an X factor like excellent marketing skills (i.e. Jasmine Star), your images will likely be mediocre at best, and more likely just total crap like most of the denizens of Craigslist.

Save yourself and the people who will cross your path the headache. Go sell cars or cellphones or something.

... Now, if you're buying a camera because you enjoy photography and want to get better. That's obviously a completely different story. There are thousands of helpful threads here if that's your goal. Just know going into this, as Terri and others have said, it will likely take years before any discerning eye will find your work worth paying large sums of money for...

When you figure out how to see landscape photos fast and get rich please pass the word on. Haha

Why do you feel photography is your ticket to quick wealth? Why not carpentry, dog-grooming, or dentistry? As many have come before you have learned, there's a LOT more to photography than picking up a camera and making money. While it might not appear so to the uninitiated, there is a LOT of skill and knowledge that go into making an image that people will pay money for. Then of course, there's the whole business side of things which Keith has already mentioned. How about stopping for a minute, catching your breath, and giving us some detail on your background, skill-level, etc?

**** that i don't want him doing what i do, Carpentry is not that easy to make big money you need to be fast and precise it will take him years to be half as fast as me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back